cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox doesn't start after installation

Dropbox doesn't start after installation

Spilhaug
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

Using an HP with Win 10.

I experienced sync issues with dropbox, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. After reinstallation the service starts, but the icon does not appear, and I don't get the option to log in through the desktop app.

Starting the desktop app from the start menu doesn't do anything, at best the hourglass shows for a few seconds.

I've reinstalled several times, making sure to purge everything. I've disabled firewall upon reinstallation, doesn't help. Dropbox does not appear in the list of icons to show on the taskbar.

The dropbox service is running, but I'm unable to use the app.

Advice?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox doesn't start after installation

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that this persists @Spilhaug - let's have a deeper look into this now.

Often, the antivirus (not only your firewall) or security software on your computer will block Dropbox from completing the install or startup process. To see if this is the issue, follow these steps:

1. Temporarily disable any antivirus or security programs on your computer.
  2. Reinstall the Dropbox application using our offline installer.

If you still get the same result let me know if it would be OK with you if I reached out directly via email to the address you use for your forum's profile to work on this together.

Thanks in advance for your reply and cooperation and happy November. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Spilhaug - sorry to hear that!

Could you also try a clean advanced re-install as well and let me know how it goes?

If it persists, please let me know so I can reach out to the email address you use for your forum's profile so we can work on this together internally with all of our tools available. 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Spilhaug
Explorer | Level 3

I tried the clean advanced re-install. Came to step 6, where the installation process seemed to run, but I never got any further. No pop-ups, no icon, no questions of folders or synchronization. The Dropbox service, DbxSvc, is listed as running in the Taskbar overview.

Same result as before.

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that this persists @Spilhaug - let's have a deeper look into this now.

Often, the antivirus (not only your firewall) or security software on your computer will block Dropbox from completing the install or startup process. To see if this is the issue, follow these steps:

1. Temporarily disable any antivirus or security programs on your computer.
  2. Reinstall the Dropbox application using our offline installer.

If you still get the same result let me know if it would be OK with you if I reached out directly via email to the address you use for your forum's profile to work on this together.

Thanks in advance for your reply and cooperation and happy November. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Spilhaug
Explorer | Level 3
It turns out that I am unable to disable the antivirus software due to company regulations. Dropbox is not an approved application, so I think it is safe to assume that this is the cause of the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Spilhaug
Explorer | Level 3

Update: There appears to be no actual restrictions on installing and using Dropbox, it has been tested and found to work on similar computers with similar firewall and antivirus settings. This indicates that the issue lies elsewhere.

So even though I am unable to disable my antivirus, I should be able to get it to work.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know @Spilhaug and please keep me posted on your progress.

In the meantime, have a lovely week ahead!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Spilhaug
Explorer | Level 3

New update:

The issues with the regular Dropbox app from dropbox.com still doesn't start. The symptoms as described in my initial post are still accurate. I've added Dropbox to the list of trusted programs in my security system, but it didn't make any differences.

I've also tried the Dropbox app from Windows store. It starts, and I am able to log in and see my files. I can also download the files, edit user rights and other functions, but I am unable to edit the files directly. If I try to open the files through the app nothing happens.

Can you assist me further?

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists @Spilhaug!

From what I understand you downloaded and are running the mobile application from the Windows store - this is different than our desktop application. Read on for more context:  

The mobile app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device.

Unlike the Dropbox computer application, the Dropbox app does not automatically store files locally on your device because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or bandwidth limitations. Given this, the contents of your Dropbox will not take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection.

By the way, did you manage to try this (i.e. install and run our desktop app) without an antivirus, firewall or security restriction in place? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Spilhaug
Explorer | Level 3

I understand, thanks for clarifying the difference between the mobile app and the desktop application.

I've tried to install the desktop app with firewall disabled and with the installation file listed as a trusted application, but it ended the same way.

I'm unable to completely unload my security system due to company regulations, but, as mentioned, others have been able to install the desktop application without problems.

In fact, I was able to install the desktop app on my computer a few months ago, when I got a new computer, but it did not sync properly. I uninstalled it to try and fix it, and that's when all of this started. Sorry if I haven't told you this before.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Spilhaug Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?