cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox doesn't sync and moves files and folders around

Dropbox doesn't sync and moves files and folders around

New member | Level 2

I'm on a Dropbox Business account and for a few weeks now, ever since that accidental update to the new beta app from dropbox my whole account is **bleep**ed up. My MacBooks won't sync at all. One is stuck at starting, the other is saying its syncing but in fact doing nothing for weeks now. My iMac, funny enough, seems to be working since the last update (v79.3.125) but I have mutiple folders and files moved around to random places, duplicated. And I am not still on a beta, I didnt sign up to. In simple words, its a MESS. And I am not sure what to do anymore.

I tried reinstalling. It doesnt fix anything. I end up back on the latest beta and the files still won't sync.

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox doesn't sync and moves files and folders around

Dropboxer

Hey there @JustDennys - sorry to hear about your syncing issues. Let's have a look now!

At first, I can see that you're still on the beta build of our desktop app. As these versions are still in the testing process, you could notice some issues or an inconsistent experience.

That being said, and as a first step to isolate the issue at hand, I would highly recommend that you install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application on all of your connected computers. 

To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=78.4.119&plat=mac&type=full

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes. 

Please let me know the results once you've done this on all of the affected computers.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

This worked for one of my MacBooks, not for the other one though. The second one is still stuck at starting up and doesnt sync anything.

Any other suggestions, @walter ?

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that Dennys - let's move on to the problematic device now. 

When the app is stuck at starting, it usually means that there's an antivirus, firewall or a VPN/proxy setting that's preventing our desktop application from connecting to the internet properly - could you check if any of these apply in your case?

If that's not the case, please reboot your computer and if the issue persists, send me a screenshot of the problem at hand as it will help identify what could be causing this.

Keep me posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hey Walter, but those don't seem to be the problem. I got no antivirus, firewall or VPN/proxy setting that is causing problems.

I added the screenshots. I noticee that Smart Sync isnt even activated, I have no green checks or grey clouds next to my folders...
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 2.24.20 PM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 2.24.13 PM.jpeg

Dropboxer

This makes sense Dennys. As the app isn't connecting properly to the internet, it's normal that you don't see any syncing icons on your files within your Dropbox Folder.

That being said and as I'll need a further look into this, would it be OK if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address so we can investigate further?

In the meantime, could you clarify what OS's version is the affected computer on? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Yeah sure Walter, feel free to reach out to them. I have no clue what to do anyway.

The one MacBook where the screenshots came from is on the latest Version of macOS Mojave.

The other MacBook which I declared fixed, started syncing but is now also connecting and disconnecting constantly. Where the iMac is still running smoothly. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your speedy response Dennys - it's most appreciated.

As promised, I just sent you an email so we can have a look together!

At your earliest convenience, take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Talk soon!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?