cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox drive letter changed - how to resync and push updates from dropbox.com to drive?

Dropbox drive letter changed - how to resync and push updates from dropbox.com to drive?

buddyboy101
Helpful | Level 7

I have a 3 TB external USB hard drive with a Dropbox folder that was uploaded to Dropbox.com.  This drive is connected to Computer-1  The Documents subfolder on this drive is locally-synced on Computer-2.  Somehow the drive letter of the external drive has changed, which means files uploaded/changed from Computer-2 (which is synced with Dropbox) are not also on the external drive.  So things are out of sync.  How do I re-link with the new location and instrcut Dropbox to push changes from Dropbox.com to the external drive, and not the other way around (as doing so would delete/rollback files).  Much thanks!!

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox drive letter changed - how to resync and push updates from dropbox.com to drive?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @buddyboy101, I hope you had a good weekend!

To reconnect the desktop app to the correct folder, I'd suggest unlinking the account on computer 1.

Then, when you sign back into the desktop app, during the set up you'll need to choose "Advanced settings" where you can choose a location for the Dropbox folder.

You will need to choose the parent folder where the Dropbox folder is located, so if it's a top level folder in your drive, the path you will select will be the drive itself.

With these steps, the app should also recognise that the most recent updates are on the website and sync those changes down to your drive rather than the other way.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox drive letter changed - how to resync and push updates from dropbox.com to drive?

buddyboy101
Helpful | Level 7

Hi @Daphne!  Thank you so much for your help.  I tried doing exactly that but ran into an error message informing me that there was already a Dropbox folder in that location.  I tried renaming the old Dropbox folder, and then moving all contents to the new Dropbox folder.  This worked at first, but then Dropbox created thousands of "conflicted" files even though most if none of those files had been modified or even opened during the lapse of connectivity.  As a result, I'm in the process of re-creating the Dropbox folder from scratch.  Please let me know if there is a better way.  Thanks!!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @buddyboy101!

In this case, I'm afraid there wouldn't be much I can suggest as I'm not sure why those conflicted copies have been created.

You can check out some examples of why conflicted copies are generated from here if you're not familiar with them. From what actions you mentioned, it seems strange that this would occur.

The possible cause for this could have been due to having the Dropbox folder on an external drive. While you can move the folder there, it's not recommended since it's not fully supported and can result in unexpected behaviour like this.

I wish I could provide another solution for you, but perhaps in this case resyncing the data would be your best option to avoid any other issues with the data.

Please do keep me posted with your progress though, I'd be happy to help with any other questions you have.

I hope you have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?