Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox failed to transfer all files from old to new MacBook

PhilipL New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Bought a new MacBook and transferred all files and apps etc over from old MacBook successfully except that the majority of Dropbox files (in 3-4 folders) were left out of the transfer and automatically renamed "Dropbox (old)" without any help from me. These files were not synchronised with the transferred Dropbox files, and were not stored in the cloud, bearing a folder icon rather than the dropbox icon.

I managed to move them into dropbox, and now they are in the process of synchronising, which is estimated by the computer to take 4 days. I am in a poor connectivity area, and have limited data download available. 

Is there another way to get back to square one (as it was with the old macbook) without the syncing issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox failed to transfer all files from old to new MacBook

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Philip (@PhilipL), congratulations on the new Mac & thanks for reaching out for assistance on the Dropbox Community! 

As you’ve mentioned that you’ve already started syncing your missing content, it makes me think that your best course of action moving forward would be adjusting your bandwidth locally just in order to sync a bit faster.  Please note that the "4 days" estimate you were seeing is instant, based on your current upload speed & it could change if you check the value just a few seconds later.

Hopefully my hints will point you towards the right direction however please do let me know here in case you have any additional questions about any of the above. Thanks for choosing Dropbox & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox failed to transfer all files from old to new MacBook

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Philip (@PhilipL), congratulations on the new Mac & thanks for reaching out for assistance on the Dropbox Community! 

As you’ve mentioned that you’ve already started syncing your missing content, it makes me think that your best course of action moving forward would be adjusting your bandwidth locally just in order to sync a bit faster.  Please note that the "4 days" estimate you were seeing is instant, based on your current upload speed & it could change if you check the value just a few seconds later.

Hopefully my hints will point you towards the right direction however please do let me know here in case you have any additional questions about any of the above. Thanks for choosing Dropbox & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?