cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox fails to start with Windows 10

Dropbox fails to start with Windows 10

bamsematt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox doesn't start at startup in Windows 10. 
Tried reboot. No luck. 

It's been doing thos for some time and sometimes it does start. But not the last couple of days. 

Not listed in services but in Task Manager -> Services but can't be stopped. Thought I'd restart it, but... Does not show up in Notification area. 

What to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

occamman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This was happening to me, but I finally found a solution after trying removing and reinstalling, and starting as administrator, neither of which worked.

In Win10 I went to Windows' "Startup Apps" setting, and lo and behold DropBox was set to "off". I set it to "on", and all is well.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi bamsematt, welcome to Dropbox Community!

In this case, I would suggest you to reinstall the Dropbox software you have currently installed on your computer.

First, make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in the Dropbox folder and follow the steps below:

1) Stop Dropbox (If needed):

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".

2) Uninstall Dropbox:

Keep in mind that if Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.

• Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (10, 8).
  • Click "Uninstall a Program".
  • Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".

3) When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete and then Download and install the newest version of Dropbox here.

Let me know if this helps!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

taavi511
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem, only dropbox shows on notification area. it says starting and after some time starting it just dissapares, I have uninstalled dropbox and installed it agan several times, but still no luck

ebernardino
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes. This happens to me. Support responded me saying that there was nothing they could do and cancelled my subscription. For some reason I uninstalled Dropbox yesterday all over and started over. Worked again. I had to pause the sync for half a day and when I started again, same problem. The crashing.

occamman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This was happening to me, but I finally found a solution after trying removing and reinstalling, and starting as administrator, neither of which worked.

In Win10 I went to Windows' "Startup Apps" setting, and lo and behold DropBox was set to "off". I set it to "on", and all is well.

taavi511
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have it enabled, windows is tring to load dreopbox, but dropbox does not load itself working, says that is starting and just cloese itself after a little while, there is no crash information or any other report about it and it is in two sepparate computers now.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, @taavi511!

Could you please send me a screenshot (omitting any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop’s clock reads when you hover over it? Maybe a reboot of your computer might do the trick?

Let me know of any updates! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

taavi511
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

There is not much to show on the picture, it only says starting, I have restarted computer, I have done shut down, I have deinstalled and installed dropbox multiple times. Deinstallation  was done fully, removed everything. At my home computer it works perfectly, when I changed harddrive on my laptop and installed windows again, after that it does not work on it, I did not use my other PC for a long time and when I turned it on, it did all the updates and I installed the dropbox on it, it did not work, it loads, says starting and in some time later just dissapares and it is not showing on running programs either.

Nimetu.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for your swift reply and for the screenshot, @taavi511!

In order to further investigate on this, we’d have to move this discussion to email due to account-specific info that’s required. For this reason, I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message. Cheers! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

arthurlr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Great, thanks - that solved it for me!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

yagerc New member | Level 2
    Will-E-Mammoth New member | Level 2
    Willy C. Explorer | Level 4
    rsbriggs New member | Level 2
    Joycegtx1951 Helpful | Level 7