cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox fails to start with Windows 10

Dropbox fails to start with Windows 10

bamsematt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox doesn't start at startup in Windows 10. 
Tried reboot. No luck. 

It's been doing thos for some time and sometimes it does start. But not the last couple of days. 

Not listed in services but in Task Manager -> Services but can't be stopped. Thought I'd restart it, but... Does not show up in Notification area. 

What to do?

22 Replies 22

JIG123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same problem with a new Dell XPS computer running Windows 10 that I just bought.  The Dropbox app is running when I look at Task Manager but nothing is happening, no logo on the tray.  Please help.  My email is [personal information removed]

JIG123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I four other computers running dropbox and I don't have a problem on those computers.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, @JIG123

Initially please note that I’ve removed personal information included in your post for security purposes. 

Moving on to your concern, I was able to locate your ongoing request from my end and I can see that it’s being under review by a specialized member of my team. I’ve passed your comments along and when they have more info on the matter, they’ll get back to you as soon as possible via email. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

antodi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem on Win10, although everything was fine few weeks before. I don't know what happened.

I solved it without reinstalling Dropbox. What I did was to add Dropbox to the startup routine of the computer using this protocol:

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-add-a-program-at-windows-10-startup/

Simply type shell:startup in the command box. Then, instead of moving the program in the startup folder, just create a shortcut to the Dropbox program. For me it was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe

Restart your computer and see the magic happen! You should also see Dropbox among your startup apps in the task manager.

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Since this solution continued as a private email, can you share? I still have the same problems as mentioned above: sometimes it starts, then it syncs, then it drops out of the systray. I can start it manually but this is all very frustrating. Can you provide some insight?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, @Joycegtx1951 . 

Could you please clarify if you were able to reinstall the desktop app as @Norah  mentions in this thread? 

If you’re still experiencing the same behavior even after that, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

graphicport
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I Never think to look there. Gets me too often. THANKS!

MattJKing71
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you occamman! Simply making sure Dropbox was enabled for StartUp in Win10 settings fixed the issue (without any reinstalling Dropbox). Simple!

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
I had to completely uninstall and reinstall it twice. After that the symptoms went away. Thanks

rsbriggs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ahhh - that did the trick.

Need more support?