cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox fails to sync on machine

Dropbox fails to sync on machine

Sanjeev G.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

Been working with Dropbox Premium Support (what a completely useless lot they are) for over 8 weeks with this issue. Now reaching out to the Community to see if you guys can help instead.

We have a Dropbox Business Advanced account with multiple users.  This is happening for just one user on just one machine.

The Dropbox App constantly crashes. Where the app has remained stable for a few weeks, the drive on which the files are stored is constantly at 100% resource utilisation with the Dropbox app accessing the drive continually. 

All files are present on the machine - this was meant to be a reinstall after Windows was reinstalled.

Quick description:

Machine rebuilt with Windows 10 Pro, no AV installed. Only Dropbox put back on.

New hard drive installed for Dropbox to ensure no hardware issues.

This user has over 2m files, so selective sync chosen to sync only one folder - which contains only 1 file

Dropbox app immediately starts to sync over 3m files (well above the number of files the user has in their own and shared Dropboxes)

I have tried everything I can think of. Dropbox has been reinstalled many many times, Windows has been reinstalled. Hardware has been changed.

Anyone have any ideas, it is causing real issues at work and this needs to get resolved.

TIA

Sanj

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox fails to sync on machine

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Sanjeev G. - thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

From what I understand, you've gone through a lot of troubleshooting with our team - great work by the way!

Could you let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) associated with the interaction? 

Also, since you mention that the user has over 2 million files, could you clarify if they are syncing all of their content to their Dropbox folder? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sanjeev G.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there Lusil,

Many thanks for getting back to me so promptly. The ticket number is: 10833945.

Regards

Sanj

Sanjeev G.
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry,

I forgot to answer your second question. The aim is for the user to be able to hold all their files locally on this machine, but to use their account on other machines in different ways (ie partial downloads through selective sync).

Downloading all their files has been tried by Selective Sync being chosen to grab small numbers of files many many times. The Dropbox app always ignores this and states it is downloading 3,165,928 files. I know that is a specific number, but it is the one the app always comes back with!

Regards

Sanj

Sanjeev G.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Is there any update on this?

Regards

Sanj

Sanjeev G.
Explorer | Level 3

So much like Dropbox Advanced Support, I see that Dropbox do not respond in any reasonable time. Ho Hum!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanjeev G. Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?