cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox files copied for every user profile on Mac

Dropbox files copied for every user profile on Mac

Tom B.69
New member | Level 1

Several colleagues use the same imac at different times, so I have set up separate user logins so they can access their individual emails etc. However when linking each user account to their Dropbox for business licence, the dropbox files are copied for each user, therefore wasting a lot of hard drive space creating multiple copies. Is there a way around this problem? Thanks. Tom

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox files copied for every user profile on Mac

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi Tom

You may want to use the Selective Sync feature so files are not automatically syncing to the computer. Here's how Selective Sync works

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Tom B.69
New member | Level 1

Thanks - I'm aware of this feature. However the vast majority of the Dropbox files need to be ticked in selective sync for work purposes so it doesn't really save much space.

I may have found a solution but I need to test it further. I moved the whole Dropbox folder to Users/Shared/Dropbox (on Mac) so that user logins share the same files. I also made sure all users had read and write permissions on all files. Maybe it needs to settle down, but although this seems to work it takes a lot longer to sync when switching between users even if none of the files have been changed. I think part of the problem was that I had different selective sync settings between users, which has confused Dropbox somewhat. I have now made the selective sync settings the same between users and will trial this for a couple of days. I'm not convinced it is the perfect solution as at the moment I'm waiting at least 15mins for files to sync when switching on / switching users..

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Dave C.5
New member | Level 2

IMHO : that is a disaster waiting to happen.

The selective sync settings changing for one user will erase those files unsynced, when the next user logs in the DB app (for that user) will see the files removed and initiate a cloud delete as that is whats happened (for that user).

Tom B.69
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the warning but I haven't experienced this yet and have been switching between profiles a fair bit. I will keep an eye on it. However if I mirror selective sync profiles for all staff users and keep it that way then cloud deletes shouldn't occur if I've understood you correctly?

There's only one folder (ADMIN) that I don't want staff to see which contains staff and financial info. If this is not shared with staff it should be safe? The only issue is if staff have user logins on my iMac whether the cloud delete occurs on the ADMIN folder even though its not been shared with them. Fingers crossed!

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Its difficult (not impossible) to miro the selective syncs, you need to restore the deleted files before changing users, due to it issuing the cloud delete before applying any new selective syncs for that user.

Caveat Emptor 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Tom B.69 New member | Level 1
    Dave C.5 New member | Level 2
    Ed Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?