cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox filling hard drive with hundreds of copies of dropbox-upgrade-86.4.146.tar.gz

Dropbox filling hard drive with hundreds of copies of dropbox-upgrade-86.4.146.tar.gz

yashabk
Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox has filled up my hard drive with 16GB of copies of files named dropbox-upgrade-86.4.146.tar.gz and dropbox-upgrade-85.4.155.tar.gz. The files are located in directories like

~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/temp_dirs/0a078c69-81ad-4bc3-9591-421f4a5eec3f/

There are 344 folders like this one. Some of them are empty, and some of them contain one of these dropbox-upgrade tarballs, each of which is about 100MB.

System info:

yashabk@minus:~$ uname -a 
Linux minus 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 
x86_64 GNU/Linux 
yashabk@minus:~$ dropbox status 
Upgrading Dropbox... 

How can I get Dropbox to stop downloading many gigabytes of copies of the same dropbox-upgrade file onto my computer?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox filling hard drive with hundreds of copies of dropbox-upgrade-86.4.146.tar.gz

yashabk
Helpful | Level 5

I tried reinstalling, which did not fix the problem but did show me an error message

ImportError: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Based on that, I tried installing the libatomic1 library, which did seem to fix the problem.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Re: Dropbox filling hard drive with hundreds of copies of dropbox-upgrade-86.4.146.tar.gz

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @yashabk, thanks for reaching out to us here!

That sounds very strange indeed. :thinking:

Since it seems you're having trouble upgrading to the latest version of the app, I'd suggest uninstalling the current version and then installing the newest version directly from here.

After you've uninstalled the app, I'd just suggest manually clearing out the Dropbox cache folder with the steps outlined here to free up some space from those files.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yashabk
Helpful | Level 5

I tried reinstalling, which did not fix the problem but did show me an error message

ImportError: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Based on that, I tried installing the libatomic1 library, which did seem to fix the problem.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Linux-Dropbox-fatal-python-exception/m-p/37949...

Similar thing could happens for samba-common-bin package, also (if missing).

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear everything is working well now @yashabk!

If you have any other questions or issues, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. I'd be happy to help. :grin:

I hope you have a great start to the week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?