cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox filling up hard disk on Windows 7 box

Highlighted

Dropbox filling up hard disk on Windows 7 box

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop which I need to use temporarily to get some old files from.

When I boot it, it has all kinds of problems and runs very slowly.  If I leave it running the BSOD is inevitable.

The free space on the hard disk is in the hundreds of Mb, out of 500 Gb.  So it's 99% full.

My Dropbox account has got many Gb of files in it.  I'm sure Dropbox is trying to sync until it decides to have mercy or just can't cram any more files onto this laptop.

I want to get these files off my laptop without deleting them from Dropbox.

On the laptop, the files in my Dropbox folder mostly have a green check next to them.

If I right-click one of these files, there is an option called 'Smart Sync'. 

I have been trying to clean off the laptop by right-clicking a given folder (I don't need most of these on the laptop) and selecting 'Smart Sync' and then selecting "Online only" from the context menu.

I had expected that when I did this, the file would be deleted from my laptop hard disk, but remain on the server.

I did this with several files (in the root folder) and expected that Windows (Explorer) would report that I had more disk space. I also expected the green checkmark icon by the root folder to turn into a cloud or something to indicate it was no longer local.  Neither of these things happened. The free disk space doesn't change, and the icon turns into a blue circle.  I don't want to delete these folders manually from the laptop for fear that they will also be deleted from the Dropbox server.

Any suggestions?  Should I uninstall Dropbox from that PC, delete the local copies of all the files, and re-install it?  I still want to use Dropbox on that PC to get the necessary files off the laptop. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox filling up hard disk on Windows 7 box

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I really didn't have any idea of how much space my Dropbox folder was using on my disk.  I did use Selective Sync and unchecked most of my folders, but I didn't see any improvement in my available disk space.  I ended up un-installing Dropbox, and manually deleteting the files from my hard disk.  This freed up some space, but nowhere near as much as I expected.  I went from having 400Mb free out of 500Gb, to having 6Gb free. When I went to delete some of those folders, I found that they were empty.  In the end, I solved my problem by removing and then re-installing Dropbox, doing Selective synching on the 'new' installation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @JohnBove, I hope you're having a good Monday so far!

Since you're changing the sync status to "online only", it may be that there isn't enough space on your device to allow the app to sync the changes to these files.

Perhaps I could suggest using selective sync instead, to remove one of the folders and free up some space on your computer. This will remove the folder locally from the Dropbox folder, but you'll be able to view it from the website.

Please make sure to do this only with a folder that is fully synced (showing the green tick) as it will fully remove the folder from your local computer instead of leaving a placeholder like Smart Sync does.

If you can do that, it should free up enough space to allow you to Smart Sync the rest of the files.

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I really didn't have any idea of how much space my Dropbox folder was using on my disk.  I did use Selective Sync and unchecked most of my folders, but I didn't see any improvement in my available disk space.  I ended up un-installing Dropbox, and manually deleteting the files from my hard disk.  This freed up some space, but nowhere near as much as I expected.  I went from having 400Mb free out of 500Gb, to having 6Gb free. When I went to delete some of those folders, I found that they were empty.  In the end, I solved my problem by removing and then re-installing Dropbox, doing Selective synching on the 'new' installation.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?