cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder in NFS

Dropbox folder in NFS

Albert_AVIS
Helpful | Level 5

A client has installed Dropbox in a Linux machine that complies with the requirements stated in https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements#desktop

The problem comes as the Dropbox folder is on a ext4 HD shared over NFS. The Additional Requirements, https://www.dropbox.com/es_ES/help/desktop-web/system-requirements#linux, there is no mention of this kind of installation.

Has anyone tried it or can give an insight of what it is going to happen in November?

Kind regards,

A.

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox folder in NFS

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @Albert_AVIS, at the moment storing your Dropbox folder in a Network File System isn’t supported, as this type of setup could cause Dropbox to not have constant access or permissions to operate in those locations. For that reason, in the scenarios mentioned previously, it may be problematic when other people in the local or remote network are accessing the same data. 

As I understand that you’s need some additional assistance on this inquiry though, I’ll leave your question open here, so as for other users to contribute with advice or best practices. 

I’m also here in case you may need some additional assistance, so please do let me know if you have further inquiries on this discussion. Thanks again for posting us on our Community on the matter! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Albert_AVIS
Helpful | Level 5

So, how is Dropbox Business supposed to be used in a business environment?

A lot of scenarios include having a server sharing folders over LAN and some of these folders may be also in Dropbox for external access.

As far I can see the only solution I can think of is to move Dropbox folder from NAS to Application Server and have everything in the same machine, is it correct?

EagleBBS
Explorer | Level 4

+1, it's not really "pro" to refuse for not clear technical explanations that network drive are not stable. DropBox must manage it! It was operational in the past.

Only solution, forward replicated management to another solution that DropBox more up to date with network file systems lol

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?