cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder in the File Explorer on Windows S

Dropbox folder in the File Explorer on Windows S

JMACBog
New member | Level 2

Hey ppl, I am working on the Surface Go and so when I download Dropbox I get the App. Fine. But, if I am working on a document and I want to save it in my Dropbox I don't get that option. I need to save it first on to my desktop or something and then upload it into the App. In other words, I can't have my beloved Dropbox Folder, as I do on my other devices. Is this a bug? Whose fault is this? How can I solve it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox folder in the File Explorer on Windows S

Mark
Super User II

It isnt a bug, no, you just downloaded the wrong version of Dropbox 🙂

You've downloaded the app from the App Store which works like it would on a mobile rather than the actual Dropbox client from www.dropbox.com/downloading 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

It isnt a bug, no, you just downloaded the wrong version of Dropbox 🙂

You've downloaded the app from the App Store which works like it would on a mobile rather than the actual Dropbox client from www.dropbox.com/downloading 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KRHamm
New member | Level 2

Unless I'm missing something, the suggested solution does not work on Windows 10 S. Because only Windows Store apps can be installed, it is not possible to use the Desktop app as was suggested.

For me the problem remains: I can use the Dropbox app from the Windows Store, but have to manually upload any files worked on. Frustrating, indeed!

Rich
Super User II

@KRHamm wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, the suggested solution does not work on Windows 10 S.

@Mark is a Mac guy, so he may not be familiar with the limitations of Windows 10 S. You're correct, though; the full Dropbox client will not work on S. You have to use the version from the Microsoft Store which is not capable of syncing to a local folder.

For me the problem remains: I can use the Dropbox app from the Windows Store, but have to manually upload any files worked on. Frustrating, indeed!

The Dropbox app in the store is designed as a mobile app, and isn't meant to sync like the desktop app.

esmoran162
New member | Level 2

I just ran into this as well as I tried to install Dropbox on a new computer. Turns out there is now a limit of 3 for the "basic (free)" version. I had a bunch of old phones / computers listed as linked so it would not complete the install (and create the link in file explorer) unless I unlinked a bunch of the old devices and got down to the limit of 3.

Rich
Super User II

@esmoran162 

That's a completely different issue than the one that was discussed in this thread. If you want to discuss the new device limit policy, you can do so on the following thread:

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    esmoran162 New member | Level 2
    KRHamm New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?