cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox for Mac causes Mac to stop accepting keystrokes/mouse clicks

Dropbox for Mac causes Mac to stop accepting keystrokes/mouse clicks

Edward W.10
Explorer | Level 4

I'm running Dropbox 102.4.431 on MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6. I noticed this problem starting maybe 2 months ago and have finally tracked it down to Dropbox.

Once in a while, at random, my Mac stops accepting keyboard entries and mouse clicks. i.e. I type keys or click on things and the computer acts as if I didn't.

By "at random"...sometimes it happens after I'm using my computer for hours. Sometimes, it'll happen multiple times an hour.

The thing that "breaks through" is hitting the option key (sometimes more than once). Once I do that, the keys/mouse clicks I *did* type/click that *seemed* unresponsive *also* register.

So e.g. if I hit cmd-w to close a window when this bug is happening, if I then hit option to "unfreeze" the bug, the computer acts as if I hit option-cmd-w and *all* my front windows close.

And e.g. if I clicked in 5 different places, after I hit the option key, those 5 clicks finally "register".

While the problem is happening, everything *is* running in the background, and mouse *movements* do register (the cursor moves, and if I move the cursor to a hotspot, the hotspot action *does* work).

This happens whether I'm using the laptop keyboard/trackpad or hooked up to an external USB keyboard/mouse.

The problem goes away if I quit Dropbox.

I know this is weird. How do I fix it?

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox for Mac causes Mac to stop accepting keystrokes/mouse clicks

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Edward W.10, thanks for posting today!

Is it possible that the Dropbox desktop application is using up a lot of CPU or RAM during these periods?

If so, could you check this article to see if there's any way to reduce this impact on the machine?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Edward W.10
Explorer | Level 4

@Jay Thanks, I will check out the link and report back.

I should also mention that I'm a longtime user of Dropbox and this is a recent problem (it started happening maybe 1-2 months ago). And my usage hasn't really changed much over the years. 

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Edward W.10, have you made any recent OS updates, or changed peripherals on the machine that lined up with when you first experienced this issue?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Edward W.10
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, nope, no changes made recently. And I checked out the article and still couldn't find any obvious causes.

My current workaround is to *not* launch Dropbox at login, and only running it when needed, which is a pain, of course. But I've been doing this for the past few days and the problem hasn't occurred again, so I'm relatively sure that Dropbox is the culprit.

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info. I'd recommend writing a ticket to the support team directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail.

Let me know when you get the ticket ID so I can locate it on the system!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Edward W.10
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. I've opened a ticket and it's Ticket #11187470.

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the ticket ID, I can see that the agent replied to your email requesting additional information. 

I've also prioritized it to expedite matters on your behalf. Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Edward W.10 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?