cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox for desktop has installed incorrectly ?

Dropbox for desktop has installed incorrectly ?

MrFixit
Helpful | Level 5

Just now installed on Win10-Pro 64bit   Start dropbox and just get a screen of dropbox c-drive folder contents from Windows File Explorer.  Am I doing anything wrong??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox for desktop has installed incorrectly ?

MrFixit
Helpful | Level 5

Aaaa-Haaaa - Thanks Wolfy - now I get it.  On my desktop screen the application icon on extreme right of task bar is actually hidden behind a little up-arrow thingy called "show hidden icons".

Now it seems I'm functional.  It would be of benefit if Dropbox "getting started"  guidelines pointed out where to look ( as you did )  and that it might be hidden as was the case with me.

Thanks for your help.  I'll now persevere with exploring what I can do with the desktop app.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @MrFixit; welcome to the Community!

I'm not really sure what you're referring to, could you post a screenshot so I can have a look to advise further?

Thanks a bunch!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MrFixit
Helpful | Level 5

Click on "Dropbox" deskScreenshot 2020-03-04 19.21.33.pngtop shortcut and this is what I get..............

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @MrFixit!

Can you try re-installing the desktop app on this computer and let me know if you notice the same behavior?

If you do, would you like me to reach out to the email address that's connected with your profile here on our Community to investigate furher?

Thanks for any updates John! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MrFixit
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Walter.

Dropbox for desktop is an unmitigated load of  ****.

It doesn't work even remotely as described on the website.

I have most scrupulously uninstalled , rebooted PC, reinstalled, rebooted PC, 3 x times over now and each time the dropbox for desktop repeats the same pathetic unusable performance.  I'm not wasting any more time on it. 

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards.

John (Mr.Fixit).

WoIfy
Helpful | Level 6

@MrFixit 

the Dropbox application starts automatically with the computer, the application icon is at the bottom right of the task bar running in background, launching Dropbox again when it is active simply opens the Dropbox folder in windows explorer, as you described. Behavior so far completely normal.

I can see in your screenshot that everything seems to be properly installed and Dropbox icons are fine :white_check_mark: , so can you detail what is not working properly?

MrFixit
Helpful | Level 5

Aaaa-Haaaa - Thanks Wolfy - now I get it.  On my desktop screen the application icon on extreme right of task bar is actually hidden behind a little up-arrow thingy called "show hidden icons".

Now it seems I'm functional.  It would be of benefit if Dropbox "getting started"  guidelines pointed out where to look ( as you did )  and that it might be hidden as was the case with me.

Thanks for your help.  I'll now persevere with exploring what I can do with the desktop app.

View solution in original post

WoIfy
Helpful | Level 6

You are welcome :slight_smile:

Just found this, maybe this can help to get started with Dropbox and the desktop app:

https://help.dropbox.com/guide/individual/how-to-use-dropbox#desktop-app

MrFixit
Helpful | Level 5

Another good steer Wolfy.

Take a bow.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?