cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox forgetting the location of the folder

Dropbox forgetting the location of the folder

Teup
New member | Level 2

Once in a while my Dropbox forgets where my Dropbox folder is or what my credentials are or just stops synchronising for some other reason. This is very destructive because I own a business and from this moment on, my devices will read and write separate versions of the administration, which will cause inconsistencies that cause my business to no longer act in accordance with the law.

It blows my mind that there isn't a clear warning that the folder is no longer being synced - seems like core functionality to me. Anyway, I've stopped trying to make sense of Dropbox and just have a very simple question:

How do I let Dropbox recognise my old folder again?

It starts downloading another copy of my Dropbox folder in a new location and whenever I change it to the old location, I just get an error that that folder already contains a Dropbox folder. Uhm yes, that's the whole point.... How do I get it connected to my old folder again without having to delete the entire folder and have Dropbox download the entire folder again that I just deleted? It's annoying because I cannot work while it's downloading.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox forgetting the location of the folder

Rich
Super User II

@Teup wrote:

I just get an error that that folder already contains a Dropbox folder. ... How do I get it connected to my old folder again without having to delete the entire folder and have Dropbox download the entire folder again that I just deleted?

Rename the old folder to Dropbox.OLD or similar. Change the location to where you want it. Dropbox will create a new Dropbox folder. Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox app, and move the content of Dropbox.OLD into the newly create Dropbox folder. Resume syncing or restart the Dropbox app.

Dropbox will still need to index all your files, and it may appear to be uploading or downloading, but it's only sending comparison data and any changes that it finds.

As for why it's forgetting the original locations... that's something Dropbox Support will likely need to assist with.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sy32
Explorer | Level 3

same thing just happened to me.   this is the second time this month.  needless to say i am considering my alternatives to dropbox right now.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @Teup and @sy32

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! Let's see what we can find. 

At first, could you confirm if the Dropbox folder is placed in an external hard drive by any chance? 

If it is, could you try simply reinstalling the desktop app (82.4.156)? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sy32
Explorer | Level 3

no it is not.  typical default would be c: drive and user name\dropbox.  i am using d:\dropbox

already deleted all the files and am resyncing already.

Rich
Super User II

@Teup wrote:

I just get an error that that folder already contains a Dropbox folder. ... How do I get it connected to my old folder again without having to delete the entire folder and have Dropbox download the entire folder again that I just deleted?

Rename the old folder to Dropbox.OLD or similar. Change the location to where you want it. Dropbox will create a new Dropbox folder. Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox app, and move the content of Dropbox.OLD into the newly create Dropbox folder. Resume syncing or restart the Dropbox app.

Dropbox will still need to index all your files, and it may appear to be uploading or downloading, but it's only sending comparison data and any changes that it finds.

As for why it's forgetting the original locations... that's something Dropbox Support will likely need to assist with.

View solution in original post

Teup
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply. I'm running dropbox on my laptop and desktop computer, both pretty basic and stable situations. I have my Dropbox on C:\Dropbox, but sometimes it insists on re-downloading the folder in C:\Users\(username)\Dropbox and forgets all about my C:\Dropbox.

Teup
New member | Level 2

@Rich, thanks. While it's a workaround, yeah, that must probably work.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?