cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox freezes Windows

Dropbox freezes Windows

roegje
Explorer | Level 3

My name is Michael and I am experiencing a problem with the Dropbox software that is installed on my desktop PC. I removed the software and did a new installation but that did not resolve the problem. My PC runs Windows 10 Home version 20H2, with 16GB DRAM, and an Intel Core i5 CPU. I have about 3,500 files in my Dropbox folder, which adds up to circa 4GB of storage.

When in Windows Explorer, right click on the mouse makes the cursor spin around for 10 seconds. This has been the case for a couple of days now. Once I disable the Dropbox software on my PC, I no longer have this problem. Hence, I believe that there is a bug in the Dropbox software that slows down Windows Explorer.

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox freezes Windows

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @roegje; welcome to the Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let me know if you've recently reinstalled our desktop app on your computer?

If you did and this persists, you can also try an advanced reinstall.

Let us know how it goes, Michael!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

roegje
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter.

I indeed reinstalled the software but that did not solve the problem. I will look into an advanced installation to see if that works.

Walter
Dropboxer
Just let me know of any updates @roegje!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

roegje
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter,
I just performed an advanced reinstall and the problem still persists. Right-click on the mouse in windows explorer and the cursor starts spinning for about 10 seconds. Quitting Dropbox solves the problem. Very strange.  I wonder whether it could be related to recent updates to Windows (see photos below).

Regards,

Michael Roeg

Windows Update 1.jpgWindows Update 2.jpg

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot and the additional details, Michael!

I'm not sure if this is caused by the recent updates on your computer, but, just to cover all bases, could you try these steps to fix your hardlinks and permissions

Let me know if they helped improve matters at all!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

roegje
Explorer | Level 3

Helllo Walter,

I tried the Fix Hardlinks solution (via Alt+H), after which I restarted the computer, but that did not fix the problem.

I noticed that the problem does not occur on the following locations:

* On the C drive, which is where all the software is installed.

* In the Dropbox folder and the subfolders (which are on my D drive).

Everywhere else, the cursor is spinning.

Regards,

Michael Roeg

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @roegje, does the same issue occur if you stop the desktop app from running?

Give it a try and let us know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

roegje
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Lusil,

Terminating the Dropbox app indeed stops the problem of slowing down my PC, as highlighted in my initial comment. However, that solution leaves me without Dropbox unless I manually start it every time I need it (which is what I do now). Dropbox used to work properly without any slowdown until a few days ago. I was hoping I could find a solution to make that happen again.

Regards,

Michael Roeg

Lusil
Dropboxer
At this point, I'd recommend continuing via email to have a better look into this together. 

I've sent you a ticket, so whenever you have a moment, check your inbox and we'll go from there. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?