cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox freezes finder Mac Catalina

Dropbox freezes finder Mac Catalina

NY Dragon User
Explorer | Level 3

The minute I open the dropbox window in the finder I get the spinning beach ball and have to relauch the finder. There seem to be no solutions here. Please don't send the boiler plate about available support options, blak, blah, blah

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox freezes finder Mac Catalina

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @NY Dragon User; welcome to our Community!

If re-installing our desktop app on your computer doesn't help in tackling this, I'd suggest a clean advanced re-install.

If you're still having issues with this, you might also need to re-index your Finder. 

Keep me posted anyhow! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NY Dragon User
Explorer | Level 3

Hey, thanks, Walter. I did the advanced reinstall, but Dropbox still crahes the finder. Tried to reindex, but spotlight wouldn't do it, I followed the instructions so I'm not sure why but it seems to be working fine anyway.

Dropbox isn't though

Thanks again

Lee

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @NY Dragon User, is it possible that you have any security software that could be affecting the Dropbox desktop application in this way? If so, try disabling it to see if this helps.

Have you enabled accessibility for the Dropbox app, and also done these steps for Catalina?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NY Dragon User
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your reply. The desktop application works fine, actually it's the finder integration that is the problem. So if I click on Dropbox on the sidebar of a finder window it freezes the finder and the finder has to.be relaunched. Nothing with The Avast set up has changed except a new computer running Catalina. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @NY Dragon User!

Just to see if we can isolate the issue here, can you please quit the desktop app so it's no longer running on your device and see if the same issue occurs when opening the Dropbox folder in the Finder?

You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar.
  2. Clicking the profile pic/initials icon in the top right corner.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

When the app is closed, the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer. So, if the issue persists after the above steps I would recommend retrying to rebuild the Spotlight index.

You can find out more info on the steps to do this from Apple's article here. However, if you still have any issues doing this, I would have to recommend reaching out to Apple Support for assistance with rebuilding the Spotlight index.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?