Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox has huge impact on Win 10 perf on every wake up

Phillip G.5
Explorer | Level 3

My wife has an HP Envy computer with i7 processor and Windows 10.  Every time she wakes the computer from sleep or reboots, the performance is very, very bad for 2-3 minutes.  When I look at Task Manager, I see Dropbox pegging the disk at 100%.  I understand that DB is trying to see what needs to be synced, but this is very frustrating to have the machine almost unusable for several minutes every time she wants to use her computer.  Is there any way to mitigate this?  Is there a way to throttle DB so that it is less aggressive in trying to sync at startup?

Thanks,

Phil

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox has huge impact on Win 10 perf on every wake up

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @Phillip G.5

Initially, I’d recommend checking this article out, which provides a bit more info, as well as some ideas on how to tackle it. 

If you’re still having issues, let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Phillip G.5
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Lusil.  I had read that article before, and I didn't see anything that seemed applicable.  The sync doesn't fail, and it isn't CPU that is maxed.  I'm not sure how to check the number of files I have, but I am pretty sure it isn't at 300K.  The computer has a single hard drive and it is formatted for use with Windows 10, so issues around extended attributes, external drives, etc. shouldn't be relevant.  When I am next at the computer, I will try the command to check for symlinks, but I don't expect to find any issues there.

Phil.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
No problem, Phil. 

Let me know when and if there’s an update on this, and if you’re still having trouble, due to account-specific info required to further investigate, we’d have to take this discussion to email (in which case, I can contact you directly to the email address associated with your Forum profile). 

Lusil

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Phillip G.5
Explorer | Level 3

I ran the "dir" command for symlinks, and it came back with "File Not Found".  What can we do now to fix this?  This is still a problem.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me on this, @Phillip G.5.

In order to further investigate, due to account-specific info required on this matter, I've gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile.

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?