cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox has two entries in my PC Startup - Why?

Dropbox has two entries in my PC Startup - Why?

Jerald E.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Some of my computers have two startup entries for dropbox.  If you open Task Manager - Startup, there are two things using PC resources at startup.  The first one appears as "Dropbox (3)."  That is the one I am used to seeing, which should run at Startup.  But the other is "Dropbox Update (4)." Why is this second thing in my PC startup?  I have the same Dropbox installed on several computers.  None of the desktop computers have this "Dropbox Update" running in the computer startup processes.  But all three of my laptop computers have both Dropbox entries running at startup.  Why?  I would like to eliminate unnecessary startup processes to help computer performance.  Why would laptops have this extra startup for Dropbox Update?

31 Replies 31

acshelton
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can they not change the process names so an end user can tell the difference? Naming them all "Dropbox" seems a bit counter intuitive if you ask me. Is there a place to suggest that change? 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @acshelton, welcome to our community! 

There is a place to make suggestions and provide feedback. It’s the Share an Idea section, right here in our forum! 

Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    acshelton New member | Level 2
    miss_fiendish Explorer | Level 4
    ACC0416 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?