cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox high CPU usage on Mac El Capitan when idle

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

and unlink and re-link is not a solution. it fix nothing

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

Same here. Noticed after upgrading to Premier account although not sure if its connected. After reboot and indexing finished CPU % drops to single digits then increases again to 100%. Pausing does nothing. Running v3.12.5  and El Cap 10.11.2    This needs a response from Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

Same issue here.

Dropbox client 3.12.5

Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.3

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Same here, come'on Dropbox. This is all I needed to finally force myself to make the switch to google drive....

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Same problem. Dropbox Pro account, app version 3.12.5, OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

Looking in Activity Monitor, Dropbox runs between 90% and 140% CPU usage all the time, even when not syncing or downloading. 

Tried unlinking and linking my account. No change.

This is no good. My fan runs constantly, the CPU is very hot all the time. Pausing syncing didn't help. The Dropbox dialog says "Pausing..." now instead of "Downloading files...", and the CPU usage is still over 120%.

I've got a number of symlinks in the folders managed by Dropbox, but almost all of these point within the same folder tree - these are part of git repositories. 

I'm disabling Dropbox until there's a solution for this. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

Hey, I let the dropbox sync continue for a long time. Over night and once it completed the synchronization and  the over heating problem went away.I have been operating over 2 weeks with no excessive dropbox activity ie no heating issues.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Solved. It's strange but what worked for me was stopping Google Contact Sync. Once I stopped that all activities reduced and also Dropbox CPU usage came to normal. In fact I bought new MBP 2.5/16/512, and I went to apple services center comoianing about fan noise and over heating, they reformatted everything, still I had issues and I always thought that its dropbox thats the culprit. But now after disabling contact sync from mail, everything working normal. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

Happening for me, too. El Cap 10.11.4, Dropbox 3.16.1.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

There is only one solution for this. descreasing the file number you have.

i read that document says max file number that dropbox can handle is 300k but according to my exprience is max 50k

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Really annoyed about this. Having just got a new mac I thought it was faulty until I finally realised it was Dropbox causing it. ElCapitan 10.11.4 - Dropbox 3.16.1.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?