cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox high CPU usage on Mac El Capitan when idle

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi. I see that Dropbox uses about 90% CPU in "Activity monitor" almost all the time when idle. I have tried turning off LAN-sync, as I found as tip online. I have client version 3.8.9. I think this issue occurred after I upgraded to a premium account, but I can not say for certain. I just started to notice that the battery usage started to increase over a few weeks now, and Dropbox is the only process running such high CPU usage, too often. What can I do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

47 Replies 47
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox high CPU usage on Mac El Capitan when idle

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

This is actually becoming a large issue, since the computer is getting very hot while this is happening.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Me too -- this is getting to be quite excessive.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem. When dropbox is working at background my battery indicator says "9:30 hours left" but when I pause dropbox's synchronization, my battery indicator says "14:00 hours left". Please, fix this soon.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Still no solution? We were considering changing to Dropbox for Business, but that is not going to happen. Unless this is gets fixed soon, we will change to another provider. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am having the same issue. Activity monitor shows Dropbox around 100% CPU even though the client says "Up to date" and seems to be just idle. Energy impact is at 115,4 where the next highest application is only at 2,2. Please fix this soon, I am forced now to quit the dropbox client while on the road. 

Dropbox v3.10.8

OS X 10.11.1

MacBook Pro Retina 13 inch, early 2015

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same problem. CPU usage at 105% for long stretches of time. Everything is synced, no reason for it to be going wild.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

This just started happening for me in the last week. I went to El Capitan a couple of weeks ago and for the first week the Dropbox process was fine. Now the process is constantly using high CPU and causing the fans to run high.

I can quit the Dropbox process then restart it, and it will be fine for a while. But eventually it will start ramping up again.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem,  and this is a very bad problem, if not solution many will have to change of cloud company

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. I get 2 hours of battery at most now on a 

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 ram, 1tb SSD. Activity Monitor shows DB running at 95% . I paused it because I have gone from 70% to 26% in less than an hour. When I stopped the load at startup things were better, but when I opened it manually it seemed to start resyncing the whole box and is now stuck.Help.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?