Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox iOS storing data offline anyway

Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox has a setting to allow offline access. I think this used to be free, but now they are charging for it?

Maybe it's a misconception of mine but it looks like Dropbox is already storing a lot of data "offline" on my phone. Looking in "iPhone Storage" in Settings on my phone I see that Dropbox is using close to 400MB of space on the phone. The app itself takes up 145MB. There doesn't appear to be anyway to remove that 400MB from within the app. Getting info on folders within the app I see the "Make Available Offline" option with "UPGRADE" alongside it.

If that 400MB is cached files,,, then that to me fits the description of "Offline Storage". 

IMG_3938.png

IMG_3939.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox iOS storing data offline anyway

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Rich. I appreciate your help. For the record on the latest version I was able to locate the “clear cache” function and it did remove the downloaded files in cache.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

wrote:

Dropbox has a setting to allow offline access. I think this used to be free, but now they are charging for it?

A Basic (i.e. Free) account is able to mark files as available offline. The ability to mark a folder as such is only available to Plus, Professional and Business accounts.

Looking in "iPhone Storage" in Settings on my phone I see that Dropbox is using close to 400MB of space on the phone. The app itself takes up 145MB. There doesn't appear to be anyway to remove that 400MB from within the app.

Any files that you view or open on your device, if not already marked as available offline, need to be downloaded to the device first. Dropbox will download the file and temporarily cache it. This is a required function of the app and is not the same as offline storage.

The only way to manually clear the cache is to uninstall and reinstall the app. If you do this, any files that you have marked as available offline will need to be marked as such again.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Rich. I appreciate your help. For the record on the latest version I was able to locate the “clear cache” function and it did remove the downloaded files in cache.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

wrote:

I was able to locate the “clear cache” function and it did remove the downloaded files in cache.

That's a bit surprising. The button has never worked right before.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?