cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox icon flashing in system tray

Dropbox icon flashing in system tray

Explorer | Level 3

Windows 10 Pro.  I have two MS profiles set up on my laptop.  One is for work (connected to my work domain).  The other is for my personal use - typical windows profile.  I have been running Dropbox (same application) on both profiles for years.  I also have two dropbox accounts - so each profile connects to different dropbox accounts.  There are a few folders that are shared between those two dropbox accounts. 

Lately - on my personal profile, files I create and save to a dropbox folder are not uploading to the cloud.  They save to my local dropbox folder no problem but are not uploading to my dropbox cloud (and therefore not downloadable by people I want to share those files with).  My dropbox account shows that I have 3GB of 8GB available (using 5.17GB).  My local hard drive shows 24.1 GB free so storage on both local hard drive or dropbox cloud not the issue.  The dropbox folders show 2 blue arrows pointing at each other.  The dropbox icon flashes on intermittently in the system tray as if trying to start, and then disappears.  It cycles every minute or so doing this.  

Interstingly, on my other profile, dropbox is working fine.  In that profile, it is running the same dropbox application, except the dropbox icon stays on permanetly in the icon and files are uploading / downloading properly.  

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling dropbox (which runs on both profiles).  And still the same problem.  Works fine in my work profile.  But, constantly flashing in my personal profile.  The fact that it runs on one profile and not the other (same computer, same OS, same application) makes it that much more difficult to troubleshoot.  It's not a Windows thing (because that would affect both profiles)  Has anybody else come across this?

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox icon flashing in system tray

Dropboxer

Hey @Jager350, thanks for checking in with us - welcome aboard!

Since you've already trying reinstalling the desktop app - great work by the way! - could you also give an advanced reinstall a shot? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Bear in mind though that if you're on a Basic (free) account, there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?