Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox icon grayed out. "Starting..".

Explorer | Level 4

DB was fine a few hours ago, now on this Windows 7 64 laptop it's greyed out and is continually 'starting'.

Signing in via the system icon doesn't bring any dialogue up; in preferences it says the laptop isn't linked to any account.

I'm signed in OK on a different PC in the house.

A windows update came through this evening so rolled back, no good, reinstalled DB, unlinked laptop can't relink.

Any ideas?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox icon grayed out. "Starting..".

Explorer | Level 4

Uninstalled & reinstalled. Grey.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @LesCM19, thanks for reaching out. 

Even though Dropbox is.. "starting.." not starting..I am happy to hear that it reinstalled successfully.  That's a good start. I will explain the rest and help you get it to start. 

When Dropbox get's stuck at starting, the first thing to check is if there are security programs or updates, that might be blocking Dropbox from starting. If it doesn't start it will not prompt you to link it to your account. 

Let's ensure that this behavior is not caused by an antivirus, a firewall or a VPN/proxy setting on this computer. 

If it is, make sure to follow the step offered above and reboot your device. Hope this step is the fix. 

Keep me posted! 

Thank you. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Microsoft Essentials wasn't running at first. Tried enabling & disabling that and an adblocker. Dropbox is allowed through the firewall but shut that off too.

DB is ok on a W7 32 bit netbook and 'the big PC' in the house which is W10. Seems that Windows update is the only thing that changed and I rolled that back and disabled Windows updates. There is one security update from months or years ago that won't install, I'll fish the numbers out later.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

2019-12 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4530734)

is the Windows update which hasn't worked for months if not a couple of years.

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.307.1981.0)

is the one I rolled back to no effect.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I notice Windows crashes when installing DB (or at least taskbar etc disappears) so might do a laptop factory settings reset.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates. 

After you do the factory settings reset, you will have to add Dropbox to the whitelist of any security programs you re-enable.  You can also learn how to check your hard disk for errors on Windows here.

If this doesn't help, please get back to me. For the next troubleshooting step we can take together, I will need to know the amount of files you have locally. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?