cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox icon keeps disappearing from system tray.

Dropbox icon keeps disappearing from system tray.

Charlotte L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have Windows 8.1 and use classic shell. The Dropbox icon keeps disappearing from the system tray. I followed the instructions for keeping icons in the system tray, but it does not work. I use the option Nofification Area icons. The check box to show all icons and notifications in the taskbar is checked. However, the icon disappears. For version 3.03

29 Replies 29

Bob M.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Using Windows 7.1 Professional on Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop.  Everytime I reboot my computer, my Dropbox icon disappears from my system tray and I have to re-install Dropbox to get it back.

Charlotte L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try my step-by-step instructions dated Feb 4, 2015. I haven't had any trouble since then. I do have Windows 8.1 and Classic Shell installed. Classic Shell makes Windows 8 work like an older version of Windows. It puts the Start Menu in the lower left corner of the screen.

Sita S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am using windows 10, and yes, I am experiencing this dropbox icon disappearing from the system tray menu.

Charlotte L's steps doesn't work for me. install and reinstalling dropbox, does work, to make the icon appear, but it bothers me a lot, if i have to keep on install and reinstalling dropbox to make the icon appear the system tray. 

The reason why it disappeared, is because I did not want dropbox to automatically sync. So i paused it. However, i usually turned off my computer with the sync processed paused. I thought this was the problem. So after reinstalling my dropbox, i tried to exit the dropbox, by right-cicking the icon. And you can all guess what happened....the icon disappeared....

Tried to do Charlotte L's steps, didnt work again..tried to browse to find solution, and it all doesnt work, because the solution available in the internet is almost similar with Charlotte's step.

One day, only once...i tried to right click the dropbox icon from my file explorer, and it suddenly appear. However, it never work again for me 😞

Is there anyone still having the same problem with me? The only way to reappear dropbox icon is by reinstalling it again 😞

I need to pause sync, because i don't have an unlimited access to the internet. Anyone can help me solve this problem?

Bob M.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Once you have Dropbox reinstalled and the icon is back in the system tray, right-click on the icon.  Then left-click on the settings "gear" icon in the upper right hand corner.  A menu will drop down and the third item down in the list is "Pause Syncing".  To keep Dropbox automatically re-loading in your system tray at startup, left-click on "Preferences", then in the popup box that appears, check the option that says "Start Dropbox on system startup".  That has been working for me.

Bob M.

Roy K.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Similarly, I am running Dropbox 5.4.24 on Windows 10 and the icon on the start menu disappears. Files on in the dropbox folder on my computer are not found when I go into Dropbox.com (and are not being shared with other people).    I have reinstalled (online and off-line).    When I run the program fro the search bar at lower left, the white icon appears in the start bar. When I hover over the white icon, it says that DB is starting.  If I double-click a menu opens saying that there are 649 files to sync. Then the icon disappears.  Not running in task manager either.  Words of wisdom?

dondj
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I solved my problem by re-installing dropbox app found on this link:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

I found a link "download the dropbox app" and installed it on top of the existing installation and everything is now working fine again.

ZigZagZio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST SOLUTION FOR ALL THE MISSING TRAY ICONS TO RETURN  (WINDOWS 7)

1)  Run 'regedit.exe'   (Without the quotes)

2)  Goto key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify

3)  Delete keys 'IconStreams' & 'PastIconsStream', then close regedit

4)  Right click on Taskbar, Click on Start task manager, Go to Processes and kill explorer.exe

5)  Go to Applications in the task manager, Click on New task,  and then type 'explorer.exe'  (Without quotes)

Explorer will now reboot and woohoo, your icons should all return. Works like a charm

6)  The Final step is to then click on little up arrow in the traskbar and customize which icons you want to appear on the tastbar.

Dranoweb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Do you have tray icon set to auto-hide?

That will do it everytime, especially if you just installed something else, and shuffled it along a couple of places.

ZigZagZio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In answer to your question, the tray icon was not set to auto hide. Thanks!

Florria B C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you so much that help

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Roy K.2 New member | Level 2
    Bob M.36 New member | Level 1
    Sita S.1 New member | Level 1
    Charlotte L. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?