cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox icon not in systray, won't connect after Windows update

Dropbox icon not in systray, won't connect after Windows update

Underdog
Explorer | Level 3

Since Monday when Windows 10 did an extensive update (and had to log into MS account to even get on the laptop), I've not been able to get dropbox to synchronize. I've tried to run the app manually, and the process is running, but there's no system tray icon. The Dropbox systray icon comes up in grey briefly after running the app, and if I'm quick enough to hover over the icon I can see the pop up saying it's "connecting", but then the icon disappears again, and nothing happens.

I can log in to the folder online, and I know it's being updated from other sources, but when I compare files, I see that my local folder isn't uploading to the online folder.

I've tried to reinstall, uninstall, reboot, download and reinstall the latest update several times, but still no joy. (I followed the advanced install instructions on this website.) I've even checked to make sure the icon is set to be visible (it is). I've checked also that Dropbox is set to run on startup (it is). 

Nothing seems to have made a difference yet.

Hope someone can help me, because this is playing havoc with my file synchro, and co-workers are not getting what they need from me.

Thanks for any help...

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox icon not in systray, won't connect after Windows update

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @Underdog, let's see what we can do!

Since you've already tried some troubleshooting - awesome work - could you also check if there's a third party app, like a security software, that's blocking the startup process?

You could also try temporarily disabling your antivirus and ensuring that you have your firewall configured to work with Dropbox.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Underdog
Explorer | Level 3

I disabled Symantec.Endpoint Protection Smart Firewall and Antivirus, but it still won't connect.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @Underdog

Could you also have a look at some of the suggestions listed in this article? Maybe one of these will do the trick. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Underdog
Explorer | Level 3

waitingtobelinked.png

I'm also getting this on reboot, but it still doesn't connect.

Underdog
Explorer | Level 3

I looked at that article, but I'm not seeing how it can help.

I can't get access to Dropbox settings because it doesn't run. And since it doesn't run, I don't get any error messages either...

I did check system time and compared it to the systray, I even did a manual sync.

I've disabled the firewall and antivirus and that didn't make a difference. So I'm only guessing it's not a proxy issue. Could be the problem? How can I tell?

Dropbox folder is where it's always been. Hasn't been moved.

%LOCALAPPDATA% Temp folder is set so that my user account has full control. I can't check the "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" box because throws an error and chucks me out on my ear.

As you know from the screen shot of DB in the systray, the version is quite up to date having been downloaded and installed today.

I'm sure my computer is supported because the darn thing WAS working up until Monday or so. And it has no problems installing or uninstalling - it just flat won't run and stay running.

How would I know if it was able to access the Registry? I'm not getting error messages, and it does install/uninstall.

Dropbox Damaged? No idea. It's certainly not working....

Underdog
Explorer | Level 3

localappdataerror.png

This is the error that occurs when I check that box...

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info and screenshot, @Underdog

I've followed up with a ticket so that we can investigate this a bit more in depth together.

When you have the chance, please check your email connected to your Community profile and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Underdog
Explorer | Level 3

I responded to the link you sent in the email, but I haven't heard back from you yet. I'm still kinda stuck....

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking back, @Underdog

I've replied to your email, so don't hesitate to get back to me with any additional info or questions there. 

Thanks again! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Underdog Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?