cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox ignoring proxy settings

Dropbox ignoring proxy settings

elyograg
New member | Level 2

Dropbox for WIndows, version  129.4.3571.

My system, being a work laptop, has a proxy configured.  With the proxy configured, I could not link the dropbox windows app to my dropbox account.  When I clicked "Sign in" the dialog box would open, but it remained empty -- not asking for my dropbox credentials.

I disabled proxy settings in dropbox.  That didn't help.

It wasn't until I disabled the proxy at the OS level and rebooted that I was able to get connected properly.

Then I re-enabled the proxy and rebooted again.  Dropbox wouldn't connect.

I checked the proxy logs and found that dropbox was using the proxy, and being denied:

1630504476.322 0 10.10.10.26 TCP_DENIED/407 4387 CONNECT cfl.dropboxstatic.com:443 - HIER_NONE/
- text/html

As soon as I added an exception to the PAC (proxy auto config) file for .dropboxstatic.com, and restarted dropbox, it was able to connect.  I'm one of the admins ... without that I would have never gotten it working.

So ... dropbox is ignoring its own config to NOT use a proxy, presumably it is noticing the system environment variables and using the proxy anyway even though I told it not to do so.  (HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY are defined by Windows, URL points to the PAC file)

I think this behavior is a bug.

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @elyograg, thanks for reaching out to our Community!

We do appreciate your feedback about this situation and I'm happy you were able to eventually connect to the Dropbox application.

In this page you can find the installers for the latest version of the application, both online and offline, if you need them.

I will however, pass your comments along to our team about this. 

If you have any more questions, make sure to let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

molposedra
Explorer | Level 3

Have you tried disabling the firewall? Problems can often occur because the firewall blocks packets from Dropbox or packets from the proxy server. It is also best to use paid proxies for a stable connection. Free ones work very badly and cannot provide a reliable, stable network. I learned this after a lot of trial and error. Currently, I am using malaysia proxies that a good friend advised of mine. I have never had any problems with it yet with the free proxies. It will help solve your problem if you try to change your proxy server. I hope my comment will help you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

molposedra Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?