cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox in linux syncing for days

Explorer | Level 3

I have been having issues with linux dropbox for a couple of weeks.  My server ran a copy of crunch bang ++ for the last year or so to back up files.  My desktop and an old netbook had the same.  Then desktop and server went into "syncing" mode and stuck.  As dropbox said this was a none supported os both have been rebuilt several times with Ubuntu LTS.  Checks on a clean copy work until a reboot or the preferences are changed to a larger folder in which case "syncing" is all you get.  Netbook is then the only working copy.

Any ideas please.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox in linux syncing for days

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Ap987, I hope you're well today!

Just to clarify, are you seeing the desktop app's sync status stuck on "Syncing"? Do you see any other info reported in the status (eg. syncing [X number] files)?

If you check the local Dropbox folder, can you let me know currently around how many files you have within the folder?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Only the word syncing with no indication of the number of files or time to complete.  Most folders are about 10000 files most small files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Ap987!

Just to rule out the possibility, can you check if you have any symlinks within your Dropbox folder with the steps outlined in point 7 here?

If you don't have any within the local Dropbox folder, can you check if your local folder contains more than 300,000 files? You can check out a more info on why this can affect the desktop app syncing from here.

Since this occurs when trying to add more folders to sync to your desktop through the selective sync settings, can you try adding a few subfolders at a time (instead of the whole folder if it's large) to see if that helps?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you I have run the code listed under 7 in termianl and no data was returned so I assume that this means that there are no sym links.

Any other thoughts gratefully received.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that @Ap987!

Sometimes syncing can't progress if it's trying to sync files that have incorrect permissions. Can you try the following to see if that helps?

1. Stop the desktop app from running on the device.
2. Open the Terminal app.
3. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal app, pressing "Return" after each command. Please make sure to copy the command as typing them wrong could do some harm.
sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chattr -R -i ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox
Once the prompt displays, the instruction is complete and ready for the next command.
4. Restart the Dropbox app.

Please allow the desktop app some time to apply the changes, and check to see if the sync status starts to progress and sync your files.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?