cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox install hangs on Set Up Dropbox

Dropbox install hangs on Set Up Dropbox

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Following a full re-install of my Windows Home Server 2011, I re-installed Dropbox.  I have never had an issue installing Dropbox on any platform, but now the installation hangs at the 'Set Up Dropbox', the window is blank.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, exactly the same thing happens.

Any suggestions?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'm afraid Home Server isnt a supported Dropbox OS (nor has it ever been actually).

You can see minimum requirements at https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements, but, a workaround may be to download an older install EXE from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000 (often those in the 15.x branch are a good one to use)

Moderator note: You can also see this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/server-hosting 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Found my solution:

Close Dropbox.

Get properties of Start Menu Dropbox link, go to Compatability and set it to Windows 2000

Start Dropbox, link account etc. Close Dropbox

Reset compatability.

Bingo

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'm afraid Home Server isnt a supported Dropbox OS (nor has it ever been actually).

You can see minimum requirements at https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements, but, a workaround may be to download an older install EXE from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000 (often those in the 15.x branch are a good one to use)

Moderator note: You can also see this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/server-hosting 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Really? I am amazed, it is only Windows Server 2008 at the core. I have never had any issue with Dropbox on this platform before, and have it installed on two WHS2011 boxes.

Thank you for the link, but searching that forum for "stable build 15." yields no results. There is a beta build 15.3 which I will try, but from other posts I have now seen, when these old builds are installed it seems they will not auto-update?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No server operating system has ever been officially supported. Something has changed, either in the Dropbox client or with an OS update, that now prevent it from working properly.

In the earlier days of this issue, the 15.x client would work because they were still supported, but now that they aren't, you'll likely just get a message that the client is too old and to update it.

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

OK, I understand it's not a supported platform now, as I never had any problem before it never occured to me that it would be. I have the latest version of Dropbox on my other WHS, it works perfectly, I suppose it has updated itself from a 15 or earlier version. It seems it is just the installation process which is the problem.

I managed to find 15.4 client installer so I will try installing it tonight...

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey keithswd

Thanks for getting in touch with the Dropbox Community!

As @Rich and @Mark mentioned before, the these are the currently supported operating systems, though we're here to help as much as possible. Just to reference, could you please reply to me with a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing?

Furthermore, could you ensure that these steps are followed for the configuration of your firewall and that the domains listed here are allowed? I 'd rather suggest that you tried to re-install the full offline installer and see if this helps you resolve the issue. 

If this persists, please reply to me here with this screenshot, so that look into that further. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Hi Jane, I could do that this evening, but I can describe exactly what happens. The installation completes and the window opens into which normally you would put your login credentials. However this window is blank (black). I can close the window and then click on the Dropbox icon in the notification area, when I get a window telling me that Dropbox is waiting to be linked to an account. If I click the link to do that, I get the blank window back. I have tried offline installer builds with the same result - it is immediately after the installation that the process hangs.

I don't think that firewalls/domains etc. are involved as before I was forced to format my hard drive re-install the server OS, I had the latest version of Dropbox running perfectly on this system.

thank you very much for your interest

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I tried the 15.4 installer, it ran normally and presented me with a window to enter my username/password. But refused to log me in because the version of Dropbox was too old. I tried installing a newer version over the top, without uninstalling the old, but now I am back to the blank 'Set up Dropbox' screen again.

Checking in the Event Viewer, I can see these errors (in sequence):

Event ID 7000: The DbxSvc service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Event ID 320: The description for Event ID 320 from source DbxSvc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Event ID 282: Certificate mismatch for file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_25.4.28\Dropbox.exe

Event ID 293: Failed to validate client process executable is signed: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_25.4.28\Dropbox.exe

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Found my solution:

Close Dropbox.

Get properties of Start Menu Dropbox link, go to Compatability and set it to Windows 2000

Start Dropbox, link account etc. Close Dropbox

Reset compatability.

Bingo

William14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I "Get properties of Start Menu Dropbox link"?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

William14 New member | Level 2
    keithswd Collaborator | Level 8
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?