cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox install on Ubuntu 20.04

Dropbox install on Ubuntu 20.04

eicossa
New member | Level 2

Tried the Ubuntu Software Centre version of Dropbox. It just gets stuck on a status of "Syncing" and doesn't seem to be doing anything (Recently Changed Files does not show anything)

Then tried the headless install and ran the ./dropboxd executable. I keep getting this error

Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem.

I keep running this command and my /etc/sysctl.conf has a number of lines that say fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000

But i keep getting the above message.

Lastly, i tried the compile-from-source method and i get this error when i run ./configure

checking for pygtk... no
configure: error: couldn't find pygtk

Tried to install pygtk using this script but it doesn't work because of some version issues with libpango.

pango.c: In function ‘_wrap_PangoFont__do_find_shaper’:  

pango.c:3822:32: error: ‘PangoFontClass’ {aka ‘struct _PangoFontClass’} has no member named ‘find_shaper’  

3822 | if (PANGO_FONT_CLASS(klass)->find_shaper) 

| ^~ 

pango.c:3823:38: error: ‘PangoFontClass’ {aka ‘struct _PangoFontClass’} has no member named ‘find_shaper’  

3823 | ret = PANGO_FONT_CLASS(klass)->find_shaper(PANGO_FONT(self->obj), lang, ch); 

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox install on Ubuntu 20.04

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @eicossa, I hope you're well today!

To have a look into this further, I'd suggest contacting our Support team. Depending on your current plan, you can find out what Support options are available to you from here.

Once you've done this, you can let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) so that I can follow up with you there and pass along your comments.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?