cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox installation on Centos 7

Dropbox installation on Centos 7

MichaelChapman
Explorer | Level 3

Hello

Redhat has removed long term support for Centos 8 so I have moved back to Centos 7 (most of our customers are on Centos 7 or RHEL7). I want to use DropBox and I can partially install it, but when Dropbox downloads and installs its daemon, that requires a newer version of glibc than is supported by Dropbox. Does anyone know how to have Dropbox install a version of the daemon that is compatible with Centos7, or do I have to move away from Dropbox to another service?

Thank you for your help

Michael

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @MichaelChapman, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

If your device is meeting our minimum requirements as outlined here, you should be able to install our desktop app normally. 

Could you have a look and let me know what you find?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MichaelChapman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Centos 7 does not comply with the minimum requirements. It used to work, but not with the latest Dropbox daemon.

/home/****/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-135.4.4221/dropbox: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by /home/****/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-135.4.4221/libdropbox_core.so)

So the libc.so.6 file is there, but it returns glibc version 2.17 when queried.

Even if I LD_PRELOAD an overloaded version of the function gnu_get_libc_version() to return 2.18, it still fails.

Many large companies have regressed back to Centos 7 because of the early end of life of Centos 8. Centos 7 remains on long term support until June 30, 2024. 

Is there any way to get Dropbox working with glibc version 2.17?

Thanks

Michael

IanGrahamd
New member | Level 2

Hmm. It's strange that you couldn't even install Dropbox on Centos 7 if you tried on Centos 8. I always thought Centos 8 was optimized for such operations and software. They are the most user-friendly OS I've tried as a developer. Dropbox is my favorite cloud, even though I continue to store everything the same in a 20 GB drive on Google. Maybe we will all be surprised by the future TuxCare in 2024 when Centos 7 will cease to exist. I think TuxCare will be cooler than anything we have tried so far. Try searching for information about this extended lifecycle support for CentOS 7.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

IanGrahamd New member | Level 2
    MichaelChapman Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?