cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox installer Created an Explorer Process with NULL Path

Dropbox installer Created an Explorer Process with NULL Path

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

I understand that the current dropbox online installer killed the explorer.exe process and restart a new one at the end of the installation.  

Problem:

In windows 7, I noticed that the cmd shell created by the new explorer.exe process contained a PATH environment variable set to NULL which caused most of the batch command failed to work properly.  (As a side note, the path environment variable can be restored manually using these dialogue boxes Control Panel -> System and Security-> System->Advanced System Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables->"edit the path environment variable and click OK")

Cause of the Issue:

To investigate the cause, I then used Process Explorer to view the environment of the newly created explorer.exe process and found that it too had a PATH environment variable set to null instead of the values found in the registry. Hence any cmd shell started by this explorer process inherited its NULL PATH env variable. Is it a bug introduced during the recreation of the process.exe process by the online dropbox installer?

env.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @usbLyl l.

Thanks for the detailed description, please accept my apologies for getting back to you in delay. 

It is my understanding that the application is failing to update, since something is killing the process in the background. 

Just as a first troubleshooting step, could you temporarily disable your antivirus or other security programs you may be running on your device and re-download the offline installer, going either here (Windows) or here (Mac)? 

If this persists, please let me know, so that I send over more steps to follow. Will be awaiting your reply, so that we work on that together!

Warm regards,
JaneA

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Online Installer Incorrectly Created Explorer.exe with NULL PATH

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

I understand the dropbox online installer killed and recreated the explorer.exe process at the end of the installation. 

Problem:

In Win 7, I tried to start a cmd prompt to run batch files after the installer re-created a new explorer.exe process but found that the PATH environment variable of the cmd prompt was null and hence caused most batch commands failed to work.

Cause:

I then used the Process Explorer to check the environment of the newly recreated explorer.exe and found that its PATH env variable was null, too. Hence child cmd prompt processes started by this explorer.exe process inherited the default null PATH env variable.

It appears to me that the dropbox online installer incorrectly created a explorer.exe process with null PATH env variable:

env.png

Re: Online Installer Incorrectly Created Explorer.exe with NULL PATH

Mark
Super User II
Which version of Dropbox are you using?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

don't know how the check the version, but i tested with the latest DropboxInstaller.exe downloaded today

Mark
Super User II
You can mouse over your Dropbox icon on the status bar - the icon nearest your clock.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

usbLyl l.
Helpful | Level 6

The icon showed version 28.4.14. 

I want to provide a bit more information. The PC I was using is a public machine in the library which has some special hardware to restore the hard disk image upon reboot.  So I need to install dropbox to download my working files each time I boot up the machine.  I guess most people are using dropbox for this purpose when using public machines.

The error is relevant to me exactly because of this machine configuration. I need to start using the system without rebooting it after installing dropbox.  Testing showed that if I kill the explorer.exe process myself and restart a new one, or simply reboot the system, the path environment variable will be set properly. The only problem seems to be the explorer.exe process created by the online installer right after the installation has a null path environment variable.

Before installation:

explorer.exe with pid 2856

before2.png

after installation:

previous explorer.exe process was killed and new one with new pid 3416 was created but with path=null:

after2.png

the outcome if i start a cmd prompt using this null path explorer.exe:

cmder.png

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @usbLyl l.

Thanks for the detailed description, please accept my apologies for getting back to you in delay. 

It is my understanding that the application is failing to update, since something is killing the process in the background. 

Just as a first troubleshooting step, could you temporarily disable your antivirus or other security programs you may be running on your device and re-download the offline installer, going either here (Windows) or here (Mac)? 

If this persists, please let me know, so that I send over more steps to follow. Will be awaiting your reply, so that we work on that together!

Warm regards,
JaneA

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Need more support?