cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox installer doesn't run

Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

Asked this already, got advised to create ticket or use CCleaner.

2 opened tickets were ignored by DB support (replied with automated email, as always), CCleaner didn't help.

Will ask again, maybe other options? Or, DB support will wake up?

2 notebooks remain without DB app, crazy.

Windows 7 professional. 2 different notebooks. Same issue.

Installer just doesn't run. I click on it, it kind of starts and then stops, in a second or two. No errors, no messages, nothing.

Tried both online and offine installers. Tried running as administrator, as well as tweaking compatibility mode. Nothing.

Older version of Dropbox desktop app starts to install, but then in the middle asks to download newer version, and then it all starts over.

What happenes, at all? Somethong can be done?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox installer doesn't run

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Everyone, 

I solved my issue. My solution is unlikely to be exact for your problem, but maybe by analogy you can sort your stuff out.

I use a service called boxifier. Boxifier allows you to link an external hard drive to your dropbox account. Boxifier sends updates all the time, mostly, I think, because it needs to keep up with dropbox updates. From time to time, boxifier becomes incompatible with dropbox for a day or two because of a lag in updating boxifier software.

My problem is boxifier's fault. They sent me an update that, among other things, set "Block Dropbox updates" as the default. This setting appears in the boxifier settings, not in dropbox itself. As you might expect, this prevented dropbox updates from loading. Probably b/c boxifier thinks this will allow them to keep up with dropbox better. 

Anyway, once I disable the block, dropbox updates just fine. If you have any programs that interact directly with dropbox, you might want to check their settings. 

Hope that helps. Good luck.

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there,

Can you please make sure to download the desktop application from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/4454

Thanks,
Vicky

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Vicky,

Thanks for reply,

But, why you think it would help? I already mentioned that I "Tried both online and offine installers". Even different versions of them.

I did as you suggested, though. Downloaded the desktop app from link you provided. But problem remains. Installer starts (I get that "hourglass" icon), but after 1 second icon disappears and nothing happens.

Installer simply doesn't run.

Hope you or someone else can help me with that...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there G B.1,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you try using the offline version again, but this time try temporarily disabling any anti virus or security software you have?

The issue you're seeing sounds like some files are being blocked from installing by another application.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks!
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Bendjamin,

Thanks for reply,

Thing is I don't have any antivirus/antimalware software. I do not use those. Notebooks are different, but soft I use is same. No antivirus or anything like that.

Unless there's something "hidden" which microsoft installed on my PC without letting me know, recently.

Also, other apps (not DB) get installed ok, on those notebooks. Even old DB desktop app starts to install ok, but, in the middle of process it asks for newer version. And the newer version downloads itself but does not install.

So, ONLY new DB desktop app installer do not start, on my PC. Other apps do.

But yes, it looks like something prevents it from running a moment after I try to launch the installer.

Is there any way I can actually trace that? What, or which app prevents DB instaler from starting itself? Where could I see such info? I am not very good at PCs so cannot find it out by myself. But probably finding that might help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi G B.1,

Thanks for updating me. Another suggestion could be your proxy and firewall. They could be preventing us from installing correctly. Can you check here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/23

This covers some basic firewall and proxy topics. One other possibility here is a secure connection issue. Can you also check out this article and see if this matches anything on your system:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/159

Let me knwo if you need anything else.

Thanks!
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having this exact same problem. Other than manually setting my proxy settings in dropbox, I have been through all of the advice given in this thread and still have the same issue. 

I'm not sure if the issue was resolved for G B.1 either. He may have given up. 

FYI: I'm running Windows 10 and dropbox Pro.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm also having the same problem as of yesterday.

Windows 10. Dropbox Pro. Right click installer, run as admin, loading icon for maybe half a second, then nothing.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yes I did give up. It's just a time waste.
The help offered here can't help. Which proxies? Most of people don't use them.

Dropbox app worked and then STOPPED, on 2 machines. And can't be reinstalled. And I wasn't changing any settings or something, on those machines.

Obvious that DB just screwed up with one of their updates, again. Or maybe they did it on purpose, for some reason. 

I described it all here but either DB really does not understand what the hell is going on with their own app, or they pretend so.

Maybe if more people post here, they will start to move. Means they'll just release an app that WORKS. 

Nah...

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Everyone, 

I solved my issue. My solution is unlikely to be exact for your problem, but maybe by analogy you can sort your stuff out.

I use a service called boxifier. Boxifier allows you to link an external hard drive to your dropbox account. Boxifier sends updates all the time, mostly, I think, because it needs to keep up with dropbox updates. From time to time, boxifier becomes incompatible with dropbox for a day or two because of a lag in updating boxifier software.

My problem is boxifier's fault. They sent me an update that, among other things, set "Block Dropbox updates" as the default. This setting appears in the boxifier settings, not in dropbox itself. As you might expect, this prevented dropbox updates from loading. Probably b/c boxifier thinks this will allow them to keep up with dropbox better. 

Anyway, once I disable the block, dropbox updates just fine. If you have any programs that interact directly with dropbox, you might want to check their settings. 

Hope that helps. Good luck.

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?