cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox installer doesn't run

Re: Dropbox installer doesn't run

Helen W.
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks -- installing in Safe Mode worked for me as well. There is still an issue for Dropbox to resolve but at least I'm up and running again.

Helen W.
Explorer | Level 4

And now I'm being told to reinstall Dropbox to fix all my synching icons!

paulcbuk
Explorer | Level 3

Oh yeah - I got that message as well!  I just dismissed it, and still had my icons.

Glad this helped you get up and running again.

Will-g
New member | Level 2

I had two laptops running Dropbox. Elderly Lenovo R61 at work running Win7/64 SP1, which still works fine, and an HP ProBook 4540S at home with same OS level.

Sometime a month or so ago I tried to update Dropbox on the HP at home. The installer runs, bargraph crawls across, finishes, then it appears to restart Windows Explorer, systray icons disappear, then re-populate, but not the Dropbox icon. The Task manager shows Dropbox.exe *32 sitting there using 25% of my CPU one core or thread or whatever they mean. DbxSvc.exe is also running.

At this point I've tried Revo uninstall multiple times, and ccleaner. Just tried the Advanced uninstall outlined at https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/41. This basically does the same thing as Revo, which will also find the application data and let one delete them after the regular uninstaller finishes.
Reinstalled, no joy, same behavior. Tried with windows firewall turned off, also no joy.

I liked using Dropbox, but if it doesn't synch both computers, I might have to use Google Drive, but won't have local copies. Hope you guys can come up with some solution.

davidharris
Explorer | Level 3
I'm having this issue as well, and it's urgent as Dropbox will stop working in 5 days time.

Online and offline installers both fail silently. Booting in Safe Mode doesn't make any difference.

Windows error log has:

The Dropbox Update Service (dbupdate) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

This problem really needs sorting.

davidharris
Explorer | Level 3
I have now managed to work around this. Two things were essential...

1. To understand that the Dropbox Offline installer isn't an offline installer -- it would not run without a network connection.

2. To understand that just because you've asked Windows 10 to boot in Safe Mode with networking, you shouldn't expect to get networking -- WiFi doesn't work in Safe mode!

Item 1 is something I would hope Dropbox would address -- ideally by making the offline installer work offline, or otherwise by improving the documentation.

Item 2 is down to Microsoft and I doubt they'll fix it soon so I record it here for others who may find the same combination of pitfalls. I at least could use a wired networking dongle with my laptop to enable the so-called offline installer to work in safe mode, but this option may not be available to others.

And of course, there's still the original problem when the Dropbox upgrade process fails miserably.

cs378
New member | Level 2

If you are in Windows

Just run the installer as:

"Run as Adminstrator"

Thats it 🙂

Helen W.
Explorer | Level 4
That's the first (obvious) thing I tried and it didn't fix the problem for me.

davidharris
Explorer | Level 3
Didn't work for me, either.

Michael Z.9
Explorer | Level 3
Same thing for me. I tried everything and nothing works. I have two tickets into dropbox and they do nothing, just like the install. Any other ideas?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zed Dropboxer
    Jane Dropboxer
    Helen W. Explorer | Level 4
    paulcbuk Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?