cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox installer doesn't run

Re: Dropbox installer doesn't run

Helen W.
Explorer | Level 4
Once again the upgrade to the latest version of Dropbox doesn't install unless it's installed in Safe Mode with Networking. This is getting extremely annoying.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey Helen W.

Sorry to hear about the frustration caused with the upgrade to the latest version. 

I have a feeling we can figure out a solution to that together. Would you mind sharing some more information on what happens when you are trying to update the desktop application? Are you getting any error messages? 

Will be awaiting your reply here! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helen W.
Explorer | Level 4

Jane,

The upgrade fails without any errors being displayed; a window flashes up briefly and doesn't stay long enough to be read.

The system event log says:

The Dropbox Update Service (dbupdate) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Exactly the same symptoms as when we exchanged emails back in mid-December 2016 about the issues I was having with an update then.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey Helen W.

Apologies for getting back to you in delay, has this issue been resolved for you? 

If this persists, and you still can't install the application, could you follow the steps below and see if that helps you resolve the issue?

- Temporarily disable any antivirus or security programs on your computer.

Please let me know if you can't get the installation completed here. 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helen W.
Explorer | Level 4

i can complete the installation but only --as the last time this happened -- by booting into Safe Mode with Networking.  As you can imagine, this isn't satisfactory as the application does not update automatically, and the indications that it hasn't updated are not sufficiently noticeable to avoid it becoming unusuable before I understand that something is wrong.

I would welcome some confidence that this problem is being worked on.

paulcbuk
Explorer | Level 3

I'm still having the same problem, this is not specific to the latest update - see older messages.  It will only install in safe mode, and doesn't give any error messages to say that it hasn't installed the updates. The first sign of trouble is Dropbox either stops working or says that it'll stop working in so many days. This is on Windows 10 x64.  All other programs install and update correctly so it isn't a Windows permission issue, it's Dropbox.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @paulcbuk and @Helen W.

Thanks for following-up, I appreciate your cooperation!

Hmmm… It appears that we’ll need to look into this more. To further advise and troubleshoot this issue with you, would you mind raising a ticket with our team and let me know here once you have done so, so that search it on our system? 

Looking forwarding to hearing back from you! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Helen W.
Explorer | Level 4

Done.

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey Helen W.

Thanks for your cooperation!

I was able to locate your open request and I can see that a colleague has followed-up, asking more details. I have included all the steps we followed together there, so that you take it from there together. Please check your inbox for their message and let me know if you can't find their reply. 

Please include any screenshots or other details there!

Thanks, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Zed
Dropboxer

Hey @Helen W. , 

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community?

Click here to access the survey.

Thank you.

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zed Dropboxer
    Jane Dropboxer
    Helen W. Explorer | Level 4
    paulcbuk Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?