cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox integrated in left window when saving a file - Linux

Helpful | Level 6

I am using Linux Mint 19.1, and I use Dropbox a lot.

The most anoying thing is whenever I want to save something to Dropbox, the window who opens for me to save my file on my drive, does not list Dropbox in the left side of the window (in Windows 7/10 Dropbox appears in the left).

I have to click Home and the Dropbox folder is shown in the midle of the window as a regular folder.

I do not know if this is Dropbox's creator fault or Linux Mint's fault, but I ask you, what can I do to have Dropbox also in the left side of the `Save as` window?
I will put a link with a creenshot to see it better, and forgive my language since I am not a native English speaker.
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?preview=Screenshot+from+2019-04-05+07-32-33.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox integrated in left window when saving a file - Linux

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate the time you devoted to outline what would be the ideal end-result on your end (@ovisergiu) & thanks a lot for your prompt response. Please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you, I’d happily take it from where we’ve left off! 

Now, from what I gather from your description & the screenshot, it seems that you can save your content within the Dropbox folder without any issues, however you’d prefer to see Dropbox on your file explorer, too. As I don’t have an available device with the same configuration at my disposal in order to check back whether this is possible, I’d recommend enquiring on how you can go about on this request on the Linux Forum referencing our discussion here. 

If that’s not an available functionality, it’s definitely a great feature request & it would be best to ping their team on this matter. From there, I’ve also made sure your comments are passed along to our development team internally. 

Hopefully my message brings a bit of clarity & provides you a useful alternative though I’m always here if you have more details or thoughts!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@ovisergiu), while it would be worth noting that we currently support Ubuntu 14.04 (or higher) & Fedora 21 (or higher), I’ll do my best to look into that with you a bit closer! 

To expedite matters a bit (& just because I was unable to see the screenshot you’ve included in your previous post), can you take a series of screenshots for me demonstrating the current state of affairs & what would be the ideal end-result, in order to further address your initial inquiry? 

2-3 images would be ideal to see the steps you take. To avoid confusion can you name them Image1, Image2 etc. for ease?

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next reply here! 

(On a brief sidenote, your English is perfect!)

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello, @Jane, thank you for replying.
I did put the photo from previous post in the Public folder of Dropbox. You should be able to see it.

So, let's say I am trying to save an image from a webpage. I right-click the image from the webpage, choose Save image from the menu that appears after right-click, and after that a window appears to choose where to save that image.

Under Linux Mint 19.1, in that window, there is NO Dropbox shortcut in its LEFT side, as in Windows 7 was. I even tried and did some photoshopping to see what I want from Dropbox. (As you should be able to see, in Linux Mint 19.1, the window does NOT have Dropbox in its left side...)

4.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate the time you devoted to outline what would be the ideal end-result on your end (@ovisergiu) & thanks a lot for your prompt response. Please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you, I’d happily take it from where we’ve left off! 

Now, from what I gather from your description & the screenshot, it seems that you can save your content within the Dropbox folder without any issues, however you’d prefer to see Dropbox on your file explorer, too. As I don’t have an available device with the same configuration at my disposal in order to check back whether this is possible, I’d recommend enquiring on how you can go about on this request on the Linux Forum referencing our discussion here. 

If that’s not an available functionality, it’s definitely a great feature request & it would be best to ping their team on this matter. From there, I’ve also made sure your comments are passed along to our development team internally. 

Hopefully my message brings a bit of clarity & provides you a useful alternative though I’m always here if you have more details or thoughts!

Jane

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?