cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox interferes with Time Machine

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox is interfering with my Time Machine backups.  It is touching my Drive used for Time Machine backups.  Apple says this should not be allowed.  Console shows it trying to do something with the drive.  How do I stop this from happening?  

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox interferes with Time Machine

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @kenmac,

The Dropbox app is not able to alter or read to any folder outside of the Dropbox folder. Due to this, can you let me know a little more info of the issue you’re describing here, such as what you’re referring to when saying Dropbox is touching the drive used for your back ups?

Also, can you let me know how you see this action occurring on your device? You mentioned that you see this in your console, please can you expand on this. Perhaps you can provide some screenshots (excluding any personal info).

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

There are lines like this repeated in the backup.

Sandbox: Dropbox(9327) System Policy: deny(1) file-read-data /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/Kenneth’s iMac/2019-07-01-063151/27" SSD

Violation:       System Policy: deny(1) file-read-data /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/Kenneth’s iMac/2019-07-01-063151/27" SSD 

Process:         Dropbox [9327]

Path:            /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox

Load Address:    0x10c6fb000

Identifier:      com.getdropbox.dropbox

Version:         75.4.141 (75.4.141)

Code Type:       x86_64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Responsible:     /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox [9327]

User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2019-07-01 06:31:52.349 MDT

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)

Report Version:  8

Apple says this should not happen.  Backups would no longer work.   Time Machine would start a backup and very soon into it just stop.  No errors or messages and Time Machine was slowing my computer down to where I couldn't hardly type do to large memory use.  I finally erased my drive and started over.  The drive is connected to Airport extreme.  Still getting this message put right now seems to be working again.  I also quit dropbox and then relogged in.  The message above is after doing all of this.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @kenmac,

Would you mind if I reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile so that we can do a little more investigating through our Support channel? If you already have an open ticket then please let me know the ticket reference number (eg.#1234567) so that I can follow up there.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm sorry I have not responded.  Unable to until now.  Yes please use my email.  

Thanks

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I forgot that I did start a ticket but had not heard back yet.  Catching up on emails and just saw email from Seth.  Will respond to it and one of you can go from there.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for that @kenmac! I’ve passed along your comments here to the agent handling your case on your open ticket. My colleague will be in touch soon with some more info about this.

Cheers!

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?