cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is SUPER SLOW, intefers with almost ANY OTHER APPLICATION, effectively becomes useless

Dropbox is SUPER SLOW, intefers with almost ANY OTHER APPLICATION, effectively becomes useless

ARealKing
Helpful | Level 6

For heaven's sake, please do something about Dropbox's speed. Python is NOT a professional language for Dropbox development. I have a system with 64Gb RAM, state of the art CPU worth ~$5000. Yet, Dropbox is eating all the memory and CPU. It freezes the entire computer for even the simplest tasks like a new folder creation. Please rewrite your application in a serious programming language, not Python.

I use Python every day for my teaching classes. But it stops right there. Serious programming requires serious high-performing language. This issue is seriously affecting my everyday activities and if this is not resolved anytime soon, I have to consider other options and Dropbox rivals.

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox is SUPER SLOW, intefers with almost ANY OTHER APPLICATION, effectively becomes useless

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @ARealKing, thanks for checking back in again and for your feedback.

Just to make sure that we cover as much ground as possible, have you checked out this article which lists a few ways to tackle high CPU/RAM usage?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox is SUPER SLOW, intefers with almost ANY OTHER APPLICATION, effectively becomes useless

ARealKing
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for your response, though that does not resolve the problem:

4) There are a large number of files in your Dropbox folder

Performance of the Dropbox desktop app starts to decrease at around 300,000 files. You can improve performance and sync speed with selective sync.

When Dropbox provides (virtually) unlimited storage, it MUST also provide (virtually) unlimited performance (within the capabilities of hardware) to handle that (virtually) unlimited storage gracefully. The solution is NOT to simply request a Pool from Python Multiprocessing. The solution is to rewrite the app in a high-performance language. It takes hours to start Dropbox and minutes to shut it down, meanwhile freezing everything else. It is like I am communicating with Mars. If Dropbox cannot handle large numbers of files, then it must neither claim nor provide service to handle such large numbers of files. If it is incapable, then Dropbox should explicitly acknowledge it, and explicitly notify the customers, and then everyone moves on.

Lusil
Dropboxer
I understand where you're coming from and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. 

If anything else comes up in the future, please don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

Hope you have a great day ahead of you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    ARealKing Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?