cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is Very Slow To Sync Changes From Third-Party App

Dropbox is Very Slow To Sync Changes From Third-Party App

Vigorix
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to use Dropbox to sync files between three machines:

• A Windows 10 Desktop using the desktop client (v114.4.426) using selective sync
  • A ChromeOS laptop using the headless Linux client (v114.4.426) using selective sync
  • A third-party Android app (Orgzly) that syncs via the Dropbox API

However, I am having issues where the desktop and headless client takes a while (10+ minutes) to sync updates made by the Android app. This can cause issues with conflicting changes sometimes.

For example, I will change a file using the app and manually sync with Dropbox. At that point, I can visit the Dropbox website, see the file has been updated and even download the latest changes. However, the desktop/headless clients will claim to be "up to date" and take 10+ minutes to sync the changes. If I want to get the changes faster, I have to kill the Dropbox client and start it again.

On the other hand, if I make a change to the file on my desktop, it will sync to my laptop in around 5 seconds.

Here is an image that shows the updated file on the Dropbox website, but not the Windows desktop client.

DropboxSync.jpg

Is there any reason there would be such a significant delay to sync changes made by an app?

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox is Very Slow To Sync Changes From Third-Party App

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Vigorix, thanks for contacting us!

When you say you 'manually sync' using the app, what do you mean by that?

Depending on the third party app, it might take time to sync changes across to the site, which will then reflect on other devices and apps.

Have you tried contacting the developer to see if others have experienced this issue with them?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vigorix
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, 

The app has a button to perform a sync,which basically just uploads the new file to Dropbox). The app does not have any kind of auto-syncing functionality with Dropbox.

I plan on contacting the developers if I can't get any solution here. However, I have the feeling they may say it is not the app problem since the changes are immediately reflected on the Dropbox website (indicating that their app synced the file).

To be clear, the only delay in the sync process is between the Dropbox servers and my desktop/laptop clients. I can make a change in the app, and immediately go to Dropbox.com and view the new changes (and see the update in the version history). The desktop/laptop clients are taking a while to pick up those new changes.

Jay
Dropboxer
Any changes on the Dropbox site should be immediately noticed by the desktop app to then sync. 

Do you have any bandwidth restrictions in the app, and a reliable fast internet connection?

Is the file you're upload literally a single file, or is it a package file, like a Mac numbers or pages document (which, on Windows, would appear as folders with files inside them making up the document).

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vigorix
Explorer | Level 3

No limits on bandwidth, and on a reliable gigabit connection. If it was a connection problem I would have expected a delay in sync between my desktop and laptop as well.

The file is just a single text file only about 2 kBs.

The problem seems to be intermitent as last night any changes on my phone would reflect within 5 seconds on my desktop and laptop. However, tonight I am running into the same issue. The desktop/laptop clients are slow to pick up new changes from the phone. But absolutely no problems with changes made from the desktop/laptop. I have also turned off LAN sync to ensure that is not affecting this.

The delay is also variable, sometimes it will sync the new changes in around 2 minutes, othertimes I have seen it take 20 minutes.

The interesting thing is that if I stop/start the Dropbox app on my desktop, the new files are downloaded. At that point, the laptop immediately syncs the changes as well.

PapaLouGuitars
Explorer | Level 3

This version (v114.4.426) has an issue.  Prior to this version an update applied to Dropbox in the clould would show right away or within seconds but no longer.     Taking very long like 5 min to show the update and longer to show in file explorer.  Help this is a key feature and I need this to work.

PapaLouGuitars
Explorer | Level 3

Some more details - Upon a update to Dropbox it is taking 1 min to show in the window dropbox tray Recent Screen and the file explorer where the update should show is not showing at all so it seems that the local windows gets the sync (after a long 60 seconds) but does not make the update available on the directory under the dropbox folder.   Help!

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @PapaLouGuitars, are you still experiencing this issue on your device?

The team have made some internal changes which might help resolve this for you.

If the issue is still persisting, please feel free to reach back out.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PapaLouGuitars
Explorer | Level 3
Working now for me like it should

Thanks

Jay
Dropboxer
Excellent news, @PapaLouGuitars, if you need any further assistance in future, please let me know.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?