cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is compatible with Ext4 but doesn't recognize ext4 drive?

Dropbox is compatible with Ext4 but doesn't recognize ext4 drive?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

So, like most Linux users, I've gotten the message about needing to upgrade to an ext4 drive. I had an extra drive in my machine with nothing on it so I formatted it to ext4. I rebooted then went into my prefs to change location and it tells me:

To sync your Dropbox, move your Dropbox folder to a partition with a compatible File System. Dropbox is compatible with Ext4.

So, when is an ext4 drive not an ext4 drive?

I'm using v55.4.171

51 Replies 51

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

Oh, I see. Are you saying that they've fixed it?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

There has been an upgrade in the software so I think they did

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

Hmm. It's strange since I still can't set the target directory to be /media/mydrive/Dropbox. Do you have any clue how I can get around it?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

Did you try competely uninstalling, grabbing the new files and installing fresh then letting it update?

sorican
Helpful | Level 5

I don't know what he's done, or hasn't done, but I've got a fresh installation of debian that I've been trying to move the storage location of, and it's giving me the same error.

I've got dropbox installed and operating, but I get the error when I try to move the storage location to...anywhere, even if it's just from /home/me/thisisstupid/Dropbox instead of just /home/me/Dropbox. (although I'm trying to move it off the 32gb eMMC and onto the 1tb hdd.)

EDIT: I've found a solution (read: handed a solution by a very helpful guy on stack exchange) for my particular problem. Specifically, dropbox uses extended file attributes, and needs to have user_xattr added as a mounting option in fstab.

Credit where credit is due, here's the post by TelCom that gave the solution.

might help others here, but I dunno.

jupblb
New member | Level 2

I still had troubles with moving the Dropbox directory (from ~/Dropbox to /data/Dropbox) so for now I just did `ln -s /data /data/.here` and passed the symlink to the app. Works for now but I'd like to see this fixed in the future.

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

@sorican The fix you posted didn't work for me. I added user_xattr to my fstab for the drive I want Dropbox in. Is there anything else I need to do?

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

@Axiom2018 For starters, how do I update Dropbox in the first place? I downloaded Dropbox from here and then installed it. The current version reads 59.4.93. Is that the latest? and if not, how do I update it?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

I installed the 64bit version, once it was installed it said something about updating and when it was done, I had version 59.4.93. I didn't do anything else.

ltomov
New member | Level 2

I was getting the same error when trying to move Dropbox into /media/lacho/Dropbox (that folder uses ext4, non-encryptfs).

So I used another folder /opt/lacho/Dropbox and this time is recognized it. Both folders have the same fs, but I guess Dropbox seems to have some issue with /media.

And this happens on Linux Mint with the latest .deb installation (59.4.93).

The only issue I have now is that when moving it actually created one more "Dropbox" folder, so the path is now /opt/lacho/Dropbox/Dropbox which is very ugly, but when i try to move it to one folder up, it says "unsupported fs" once again. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Andrew Hopkins New member | Level 2
    fidelMB New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    tada1 New member | Level 2
    Ailurus New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?