cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Stuck Indexing Files

Dropbox is continuously reporting it's syncing, or indexing on Windows 10.

coymeetsworld
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

Despite not making any changes to my Dropbox folder contents on my Windows host the Dropbox icon is at a constant syncing and/or indexing state and I cannot tell what it is actually trying to do. I've had this issue for weeks, I've had to even shut down Dropbox at times because it was using a high amount of CPU cycles.

I've updated to latest version 86.4.146 and I still have the problem. I do not have this issue on my Ubuntu box at home. Is there a way to tell what Dropbox is actually doing? I just get a vague statement it says it's "Syncing..." or "Indexing one file", but can't tell what it is syncing or indexing.

45 Replies 45

AJK87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My dropbox is perpetually trying to sync (index) 2 files. I cannot even see which 2 files these might be. It is using a lot of processing power of my computer and I have tried everything to resolve this. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @AJK87, I hope you're having a good day so far!

I've merged your post here to keep all troubleshooting regarding issues similar to this in one location.

When you have the chance, please check out my post above and let me know if that helps.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AJK87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, this worked! No more perpetual indexing!! I should say that once in the account section, spacebar did not work. I had to hold alt + h to get the options up.

@Daphne wrote:

Hello @AJK87, I hope you're having a good day so far!

I've merged your post here to keep all troubleshooting regarding issues similar to this in one location.

When you have the chance, please check out my post above and let me know if that helps.

Let me know - thanks!

dio-03
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is dropbox abandoning its service? do I need to move all my files to google Drive now? It has been stuck in an 'indexing of 8 files' for the past few weeks and has become unusable to save and share new files since then. I'm going to be cancelling my account this month if it isn't fixed. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dio-03, I've just moved your post here as you're having the same issue as the OP.

Can you try these steps and let me know if that helps the syncing process complete?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DMP3D
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi

i've been using Dropbax for q good while now and I've not had any issues before but since Monday (1st June 2020) the Dropbox on my Windows 10 PC is taking forever to complete a sync. For nearly three days none of the files I needed to sync are syncing. The icon says it's still syncing but there seems to be no changes when I go to Dropbox.com to check if the files are there. I've manually copied the folders and files on to Dropbox.com so my customer can access them.

When I pause the sync and restart it sits at about 10 files to sync then will stay like that for hours. I then went to restart the sync again and now it shows over 600 files but the numbers are't decreasing and nothing is being updated when I open Dropbox.com

Anyone know why this is? They aren't partcularly large files.

Thanks,

Wayne

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @DMP3D, I hope you're well today!

Since the sync appears to be stuck, can you try the steps outlined here and let me know if that does the trick?

You'll need to allow the app a short time to apply the changes and allow the sync to progress, so please just keep an eye on the sync status for any changes there.

Keep me posted with your results!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

DMP3D
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Daphne

Thanks for replying.

There isn't an option for "Fix Hardlinks". I've attached a screenshot showing what it is giving as an option. The version I have is v98.4.158.

Annotation 2020-06-03 144134.jpg

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @DMP3D!

When you're in the Account tab, can you try holding the keys Alt+H instead of the Space bar?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

DMP3D
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Daphne

I've done that then help the space bar while clicking on Fix Hardlinks and it's still seems to be frozen. I've done a lot of work today and none of it is going in to the Dropbox cloud.

Need more support?