cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stuck for weeks on syncing with 3.7GB and 2187 files to go

Dropbox is continuously reporting it's syncing, or indexing on Windows 10.

coymeetsworld
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

Despite not making any changes to my Dropbox folder contents on my Windows host the Dropbox icon is at a constant syncing and/or indexing state and I cannot tell what it is actually trying to do. I've had this issue for weeks, I've had to even shut down Dropbox at times because it was using a high amount of CPU cycles.

I've updated to latest version 86.4.146 and I still have the problem. I do not have this issue on my Ubuntu box at home. Is there a way to tell what Dropbox is actually doing? I just get a vague statement it says it's "Syncing..." or "Indexing one file", but can't tell what it is syncing or indexing.

45 Replies 45

Not applicable
Go to solution

@camner 

Ok let's go back to the original inquiry. You said that you wanted to locate the files not syncing. I found this on Dropbox.com addressing how to see what files are syncing or not:

• In the Dropbox folder on your computer, a green check means a file is fully synced, a circular blue arrow means the file is in the process of syncing, and a red X means the file isn’t synced. 

-----

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark:Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise:Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

camner
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Well, I have nearly 300,000 files in my Dropbox folder, so it isn't practical to look at each file to see if there is a green check, a blue circle, or a red X.  But, I CAN tell you that there are quite a number of files that don't have ANY visual indicator (no green check, blue circle, or red X).  I have noticed over the years I've been using DB that both on Macs and PCs, the visual indicator is inconsistent.  It is usually there, but not always.

Not applicable
Go to solution

@camner 

Is your computer's software up to date? If not please update it. Also make sure that you are using Dropbox's latest version, 101.4.434. If you are still experiencing the same problem even after following the above steps, troubleshooting & trying to fix the problem and updating your device and dropbox app to the latest verison, file a support ticket at https://www.dropbox.com/support I hope this helps!

-----------

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark:Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise:Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cgmatt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the exact same issue, two files indexing forever and impossible to see which ones....

Jhinkle78
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!  I recently had to "refresh" my desktop, which uninstalled all of my apps.  After I reinstalled Dropbox desktop (Windows 10) the computer acts funny.

I can see Dropbox in my systems tray showing a constant syncing of 11K+ files.  When I right click to open the systems tray, the window opens up....all white...not responding.  After about 3-4 minutes, the unresponsive window closes.   Opening Dropbox causes my computer to act funny---I can't even reliably open task manager to kill apps.

Help!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @cgmatt and @Jhinkle78, thanks for joining us here!

If you haven't already, can you try out the steps outlined here and let me know if that does the trick?

Please allow a little time for the changes to take affect and keep an eye on the sync status for any progress. If you have a lot of files, this may take a little time.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?