cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is ignoring upload limits.

Dropbox is ignoring upload limits.

Soufy
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox is basically ignoring its upload limit. I've got it set to 100kb ... and it's reporting in task managers 'network' as hitting over 1MB at times. This is not how I believe it should be working. Clearly, something is wrong here. Every other program when limited .. abides by the limit. Dropbox does not. Which means when I want it syncing files I update, it's going to be flooding our internet and making it unusable for my husband.

8 Replies 8

Re: Dropbox is ignoring upload limits.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @Soufy, I hope you're having a good Monday!

Just to have a better idea of your setup, can you let me know which version of the app you have installed?

Can you also send me a screenshot of the setting you have applied in the app preferences?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Soufy
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne 

The version number is: v117.3.344

dropbox bandwidth.png

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @Soufy!

It looks like you're using a beta version of the app, denoted by xx.3.xxx, so I'd suggest downgrading to the latest stable version.

You can do this toggling off the "Early releases" at the bottom of your account settings here, and then downloading and installing the latest stable version from here.

Let me know if that makes any difference!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Soufy
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne 

I did what you suggested. V116.4.368

dropbox bandwidth 2.pngbandwidth 3.png

It's still not playing nice with limiting.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @Soufy, have you by any chance tried disabling LAN sync to see if that triggers a change in behavior?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Soufy
Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil 

I unticked LAN sync.

This is still what happens when uploading.

bandwidth used 4.png

It's starting to drive me nutty. It shouldn't be this hard to get it to do what you assume it's supposed to do when you tick and type a value into those boxes!

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Soufy, according to the screenshot, it is approximately correct, since 0.9 Mbps is around 112.5 KB/s.

Are you getting speeds considerably above this value constantly?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Soufy
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay 

If you scroll up, I ended up with 2.5mbps, seen in one screenshot. It's always if I'm dumping over more than a couple of small files, that it jumps to 2.5.mbps. Which tends to swamp our ADSL2+ with both the husband and I doing other things at the same time. This is the reason I had the query. Given I've got the limit set to what should be reasonable, and if as I said I do larger dumps of files, it goes over this. This is when for example, when whatever my husband is watching online has issues/won't load pages, etc. Which the moment it happens I check, and dropbox is sitting at 2.5mbps.

So for now I'm lowering it to 10kbps and seeing if that stops it interfearing.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?