Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox is naming the folder in the iOS 11 Files app

Explorer | Level 3

I am running the most recent Dropbox update on the most recent version of iOS11. In the new Files app there is the Dropbox location, but Dropbox has named the location to one of the team folders that I have associated with this account. This folder is just one aspect of my business and I would rather not have the Location designator in the Files app use this folder name. I would like the Location to simply “Dropbox” or the name of another folder within my Dropbox.

If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. IMG_0114.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is naming the folder in the iOS 11 Files app

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Corey_CMPMS, welcome to our community! 

When you create a new Team, you have a team folder that is automatically generated and named to match your team’s name (in this case TCI_Social_Media). This team folder, with this name, is your entire Dropbox. Basically, the Files app is pointing to Dropbox, Drive, OneDrive, etc., not to any specific folder. It’s just as if you were to open our Dropbox app on your iPad… it shows you the entire contents of your Dropbox. This is normal.

I understand that you would like this to point to a different folder, instead of the root of your Dropbox. I can certainly pass this suggestion on to our team. At a programming level, I don’t know who it would be up to in the case of this Files integration, but you may also make this suggestion known to Apple, in the event that they can allow you to choose the folder to which their Files app connects to. 

When you open your OneDrive or Drive through the Files app, does this take you to a different place other than the root of that drive? 

Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Corey_CMPMS, welcome to our community! 

When you create a new Team, you have a team folder that is automatically generated and named to match your team’s name (in this case TCI_Social_Media). This team folder, with this name, is your entire Dropbox. Basically, the Files app is pointing to Dropbox, Drive, OneDrive, etc., not to any specific folder. It’s just as if you were to open our Dropbox app on your iPad… it shows you the entire contents of your Dropbox. This is normal.

I understand that you would like this to point to a different folder, instead of the root of your Dropbox. I can certainly pass this suggestion on to our team. At a programming level, I don’t know who it would be up to in the case of this Files integration, but you may also make this suggestion known to Apple, in the event that they can allow you to choose the folder to which their Files app connects to. 

When you open your OneDrive or Drive through the Files app, does this take you to a different place other than the root of that drive? 

Thanks

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Sorry, but there has to be something we can do. That folder is NOT my entire dropbox. I have looked at everyone else’s Files app and it simply says “Dropbox”. That is what mine should say so there has to be a way we can figure this out.

I just want my experience to be the same as everyone else. There is so much more to my dropbox folder, can’t I create a new folder with no name and have it just “point” to that. Everyday I have to deal with my tech not working like every one else’s and it has to stop. Surely there is some engineer somewhere in this world that can fix this for me.

Help me figure this out. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying. We want you to have the best possible experience with our app too! Since this is indeed unexpected behaviour, I would like to ask you to submit a support ticket with our team here, so that one of our agents can investigate this further, and get it to the right desk for review. 

Cheers!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Sanchez

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?