Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox is not running on W10 computer

Explorer | Level 4

I have been reading some of the support posting on this problem and am getting rather concerned as after more than a year since the first reported problem and there is still no published solution.

I have downloaded and installed the online installer a number of times today and each time I get exectly what has been reported in earlier postings; the application downloads and seems to install but it does not run.

Between the downloads I have installed over the old files and I have deleted earlier installations. I have removed the Dropbox folder and cleared the registry of most Dropbox listings. I have also run both CCleaner and Reimage and shut down the computer between each session, all to no avail.

As described by an earlier complainant I also have Dropbox Service listed in Task Manager but nothing else. I do not have an icon on the desktop nor is there an icon in the taskbar.

I have tried to run the application from the exe file in Program File (86) but nothing appears to happen.

After all this time is there a solution to this problem?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is not running on W10 computer

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Mike_2, thanks for the time you devoted working on that so far! 

It seems that you’ve already done some advanced troubleshooting on your end, so we may need to switch this discussion to email soon. What's the resource you referenced as you've been working on that incidentally? 

In order to have a closer look on the path you’ve followed & your current state, could you include a screenshot (redacting personal info) for me showing me of any diagnostic messages you’re getting as you’re running the installer after removing the registry entries? Please include it in your next message. 

Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jane,

I refer to 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Dropbox-not-installing-on-Windows-10/td-p/2899...

I have read most (but not fully understood) of the postings. Since submiting my query I downloaded offline installer version77.4.131 as was suggested in one of the posts but I am not so sure that it did an offline installation as I was still connected to the internet and the installer did say it was downloading. However, like all the other attempts, that version did not work either.

I have not seen any error messages at all, anywhere.

Mike

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate your speedy message back @Mike_2 & the additional details! 

Kindly note that there have a been a few updates released since then, therefore it would be best if you re-installed the latest version following the link on the Community→ (Stable Build 83.4.152) as a valid follow-up step. Please do so after having disabled your Antivirus/Firewall. 

That being said, since I had worked with most of the users posting on the discussion you mentioned & there was a more complex underlying issue, I’d like to start anew if you don’t mind. 

Would you mind giving my suggestions a go whenever you have a minute & let me know here whether this does the trick or what you’ve found out along the way? Thanks & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you with the results Mike!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jane,

I have downloaded to Installer option for version 83 and installed it without being connected to the same result.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I am still waiting for a reply.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
You’re right @Mike_2; please accept my apologies for the slight delay in replying & let's work together to turn this into a smiley face again! 

As you’ve mentioned that this initial troubleshooting hasn’t fixed the updating issue, it would be best to have an additional look at your account specifics & I’ve just sent you a brief message for this purpose. 

Please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & we'll go from there!

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?