cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is slowing down my computer, any ideas why?

Dropbox is slowing down my computer, any ideas why?

integratedneuro
New member | Level 2

Does anyone else have issues with their computer slowing down when using Dropbox? We have a big business dropbox account and every day (especially in the afternoon) my computer starts running very very slow. I spoke with an IT expert and they mentioned it is coming from Dropbox. Are their computers out there that pull a large amount of mega bites while dropbox is open? This slows down all my other programs. I was told by my IT guy to ask if there was a way to structure files in dropbox that help.

Dropbox can you assist on this issue?

3 Replies 3

Re: NEED HELP: Dropbox is slowing down my computer

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @integratedneuro, thanks for reaching out to us here!

There can be a few things that can cause high CPU usage on your computer. Can you please take a look at our Help Center article here and let me know if any of the points there help?

Something I can suggest in the meantime is to limit the bandwidth the desktop app uses to prevent some usage you're seeing. However, syncing will be a little slower while you use other apps.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

integratedneuro
New member | Level 2

We use the website and not the app. Does that make a difference?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Yes, that's pretty strange actually. :thinking:

Can you let me know what exactly you're doing on the web when you notice the slow down? Are you simply viewing your files or uploading/downloading content?

Could you share with me some of the info that your IT guy found that pointed to Dropbox specifically being the issue?

Do you notice the same slow speed when you have Dropbox closed and using other websites?

Finally, is it the Internet speed slowing down or local actions on your computer that are also being affected?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?