cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is updating on system start-up, even though I turned it off

Dropbox is updating on system start-up, even though I turned it off

Jay-o-way
Explorer | Level 4

I have a computer with Windows 10 (20H2) that is "a few years old" and the HDD isn't as fast as it was in the beginning. I have Installed Dropbox (111.4.472 now) but I really don't need it often, so I unchecked "Start Dropbox on system start-up". I also disabled the same thing in the Windows Settings. Now, when I start my computer, there are a few things that update in the background that I don't want. And Dropbox is one of them. This pushes my HDD usage to 100% and this lasts for many minutes. Makes it feel like booting up a pc from the early 90's again. I could prepare and eat my breakfast before it's finished with everything in the background.

I know there have been other people who have mentioned the same issue years ago, but since this still happening, I will say it again. WHEN I SAY THAT DROPBOX IS NOT ALLOWED TO START, IT SHOULD NOT START! Not even in the background. It's absolutely disrespectful and bogging my pc. You really need to change this!

Here is a screenshot of the prcoesses that are running:

Dropbox in Task Manager.png

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox is updating on system start-up, even though I turned it off

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @Jay-o-way; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear about this.

Can you please re-install our desktop app on the affected computer and try to disable it from starting on start-up through the app's preferences again?

Let me know if that does the trick!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jay-o-way
Explorer | Level 4

Alright @Walter . Following your advice, I have removed Dropbox, restarted my computer, installed Dropbox again, restarted my computer. And guess what? It still does the same thing. At minimum "Dropbox Service / DbxSvc.exe", the one without the icon in Task manager. But I suspected that before I tried. I'm not in the mood for hollow advice today.

Can you answer me this question: Not anywhere in the settings is there any mention of the updating method. There should - at least - be a choice between, manual and periodically (and the latter one should give options like "Every day/week/month" or something). So how and when does Dropbox update anyway?

Walter
Dropboxer

I'm sorry for the late reply, Jay. 

You can take a look at this Help Center article for more information on this. 

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jay-o-way
Explorer | Level 4

Well, I gues that answers my question, indeed.

> "You cannot disable or turn off auto-updates."

Please do note that I disapprove of this behavior and I would seriously like to suggest to making this a bit less "force-down-my-throat". For example: runthe update (background) process when I actually launch Dropbox - in stead of the system startup.

Cheers @Walter 

Walter
Dropboxer

Glad I could help, Jay!

I'd also like to mention that if you want to post your suggestions or feature enhancements, you can do it through the relevant section of our Community

Have a lovely weekend ahead and see you around!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Jay-o-way Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?