cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox isn't running

Dropbox isn't running

Maryse B.1
New member | Level 1

I just noticed that my Dropbox isn't running since April 8th! I don't know why it is no longer running. I do not know how to fix this. I use a Mac OS X 10.7. I reinstalled Growl (newest version). I no longer see the Dropbox icon on my tool bar (upper bar). Please help!!!

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox isn't running

Jason M.1
New member | Level 1

Same here, since about May 20: I'm running 10.7.5 on an iMac, and the dropbox icon has disappeared, and when I click on the dropbox widget in my finder window, it says "Dropbox isn't running". Dropbox works fine on my other Macs, running 10.9.4. Did they stop supporting it for 10.7? I hope not! I need that old machine...

Victoria H.1
New member | Level 1

It's not running on either of my computers.
A few people have said one needs to update the OS. The new Mac OS trashes iPhoto. I don't want to lose that program, nor do I care to deal with the extra hassles entailed in keeping it in the new OS environment because I don't have time for that with the current workload. I don't want to update that OS just this moment. Is there any way to get recover DB functionality without having to shaft ourself with the new operating system?

Helen W.6
New member | Level 1

I have problems running Dropbox on my Macbook, which is on Lion 10.7.4.  In the finder menu I can see the Dropbox Icon in the sidebar, but when I click the icon it the top menu bar of finder it says "Dropbox isn't running" and I can see that files saved to Dropbox from other computers (I have checked all the accounts/devices are linked correctly) have not updated there.

Is there a simple fix for this?  I'd hate to stop using Dropbox but at present it's lost most of its functionality for me.

Samuel L.4
New member | Level 1

Did you try turning it off and on again?

(as in, quitting dropbox, if possible, then relaunching it)

Mark
Super User II

I assume you have all tried simply restarting Dropbox via the Apps folder?

Or if not a reinstall from www.dropbox.com/install?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helen W.6
New member | Level 1

Hi Mark and Samuel,

Thanks for your help.  I'd already tried restarting, which didn't help, but then on your suggestion I did a complete uninstall/reinstall and that seems to have worked.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Helen W.6 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Samuel L.4 New member | Level 1
    Victoria H.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?