cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox just shows me compressed low resolution previews on Android

Dropbox just shows me compressed low resolution previews on Android

Bas U.1
New member | Level 2

If I view my high resolution Dropbox photo's on my Galaxy Tab, I just see blurry, low-res images. No problem on my wife's Ipad with Dropbox, or with Google Drive for that matter. What is wrong?

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox just shows me compressed low resolution previews on Android

Carmen P.1
New member | Level 1

Hi Bas,

Thanks for using our Dropbox community!

Dropbox does upload your photos in full resolution. However, when photos are previewed the Dropbox Android app shows a scaled down version for faster loading. If you'd like to view your photos in full resolution, you can export the photo(s).

Hope that helps and have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Monica

Bas U.1
New member | Level 2

Hello Monica,

Thanks for your reply.
I understand the efficiency in scaling down and compressing the image for fast preview. But why is the resulution lower and the compression higher on an Android device compared to an Ipad?
The strange thing is, it looks like this is a recent thing and before the quality seemed a lot better.
Exporting is too much hassle, I switched to Google Drive because my photo's look great when previewed there...

Carmen P.1
New member | Level 1

Hi Bas,

Unfortunately this is Android compressing the photos to a lower resolution, not Dropbox. It doesn't surprise me that your photos look great on Google Drive 😉

Have a good night!

Monica

Bas U.1
New member | Level 2

I am sorry Monica, I was under the impression you were a member of the Dropbox support team with some technical knowledge.

alang
New member | Level 2

Oh snap!!

Yeah, I'm having the same issue, it's pretty appalling - extremely blocky JPG compression ... not ideal for pulling up an image to show to a client!! :tired_face:

Andyfran
New member | Level 2

This is TERRIBLE! Please give us an android app option to preview full quality files. I just moved to android from ios and this is HORRIBLE.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?