cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps crashing repeatedly after moving around some files

Dropbox keeps crashing repeatedly after moving around some files

Explorer | Level 3

I have a dropbox account for years with over 400,000 files, and it was working fine till this morning. Today I paused the sync on my computer then moved some stuff around in my Dropbox folder, and then resumed the sync. Now, within 10-20 of the Dropbox app starting or resuming sync, I get a Dropbox app message that Dropbox has crashed unexpectedly, and that I should follow a troubleshooting guide. I have tried following all the points mentioned in the Dropbox crashing troubleshoot guide, but they don't help:

Namely, I've done the following:

- Restarted the computer

- Re-installed the latest stable release (the 'Early Releases' option in my account was already disabled from before), even though I was already on it

- Disabled my Antivirus

- Ensured I have plenty of hard drive space

I don't want to mess with my Selective Sync or Smart Sync settings because that might mean re-downloading a ton of data and having copies of files/folders everywhere ...

Anything else I can do to resolve this ?

Picture of crash message:

11 Replies 11

Re: Dropbox keeps crashing repeatedly after moving around some files

Dropboxer

Hi there @Ahmad N., thanks for reaching out to us!

Since you've already tried some initial steps to troubleshoot - awesome work by the way - could you also try an advanced reinstall?

You can point to the same Dropbox folder so that you don't have to re-download all your already existing content. 

I'd also recommend applying some additional selective sync settings before completing the installation to ease the syncing process. 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Yes I initiated the Advanced Install thing about 20 minutes ago. Till now it’s running. Will report back if it was successful in syncing everything or not.

Dropboxer

Thanks, @Ahmad N. Let me know! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Ok so here's the thing ..

I did the advanced re-install as you suggested and it worked. It took about 20 hours of syncing, but eventually everything became fine again and Dropbox was syncing as normal.

Then I moved around some files/folders again, and that AGAIN threw Dropbox into confusion. Unlike last time though, this time when I was moving stuff around, I did NOT pause syncing, just because I wanted Dropbox to be aware of any file/folder movements I do, as I do them.

But as I said, Dropbox again reached a stage where it started crashing with the exact same error message I've shown above.

So to fix this, I AGAIN did an advanced re-install. I then left my computer untouched for a day during which Dropbox tried to sync everything and piece everything together. But despite the advanced re-install and no further file/folder movement, this time Dropbox could not recover, and I still received the error message shown above.

Just to make sure I did my second advanced re-install correctly which was unsuccessful, I have just initiated a THIRD advanced re-install moments ago.

What's worse is that everytime I kick off an advanced re-install, the file count reported for my Dropbox account almost doubles. Initially my dropbox had about 400k files. When I initiated my first advanced re-install, Dropbox said the file count was about 500k. When I initiated the second one, it now reported 750k files. And now when I initiated the third advanced re-install, it reported about 1.1 million files!

I don't know what to do !!?!? This is spinning out of control!!

Explorer | Level 3

Just an email to my last post from a few hours ago:

Third advance reinstall attempt is also unsuccessful, just like the second one. Again I am getting the same error as that shown in first post above.

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this, @Ahmad N.

At this point, I'd recommend continuing troubleshooting via email due to account-specific info that'll be needed. 

I found your ticket and have passed your comments along to my colleague who's reviewing this matter with you. As soon as they have more info, they'll get back to you. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

So I ended up using Selective Sync to slowly restore parts of my Dropbox. The only potential issue would have been that I would have had to re-download tons of data again when disabling Selective Sync. But I avoided that using the method I mentioned here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Avoid-re-downloading-data-after-disabling-Selective-Sy...

Hope this helps someone out!

Explorer | Level 3

I am also having the same Dropbox problems with my account on two separate computers.  The problem started at the same time on both computers, which suggests to me that the problem is not with either computer or installation on either but rather some inherent problem with Dropbox at the moment.  Perhaps a glitch in the current version?  Can someone please shed some light on this?

Dropboxer

Hey @Dibbs. Thanks for adding up your experience to this thread. 

A few questions for you: 

1. How many files did you move?
  2. Are you getting the exact same error "Dropbox has crashed unexpectedly" 
  3.  Have you already tried the Advanced reinstall steps offered above?

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?